1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8mm Video Cassette to DVD a noob question :)

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by smodge, Oct 3, 2007.

1. smodge

smodge Member

I apologies upfront for my total ignorance on this subject. But can someone please advise me on the best way to get my old 8mm video cassette home movies onto a DVD. My old camcorder is broken and i want to do it as cheaply as possible because apart from being skint i'm not sure if all the tapes are still in working order.I have about 20, 8mm tapes of my children from 17 years ago upto about 10years ago I dont have a dvd recorder with my tv setup but i do have one in my computer with a large external hardrive (500gb) with an ati radeon sapphire 1600 pro graphics card. running on windows xp. the cassettes are 8mm pal 8 . I did transfer some of the tapes to Vhs video cassettes but not all of them.

PS. If ive posted this in wrong section can u please direct me to the correct one.

2. attar

attar Senior member

In essence you output the analog signal from the tape (using the camcorder)to a capture card in the PC or find a newer camcorder that can send it in digital format into a Firewire port in the PC.
    Either method involves the provision of the capture card or firewire port - or a friend who has both.

Here is a quote from this source.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_mm_video_format