1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8x or 4x question what to buy

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by moonfrog, Feb 8, 2005.

1. moonfrog

moonfrog Member

Hi! I'm a newbie so I have a stupid question!
    I'm running low on dvd's and so is my gf. The problem is her burner is 4x and mine is 8x. Do I have to buy both kinds of dvd's or can she use the 8x kind?

The reason I ask is because everybody on the other board says to burn stuff at 1x or 2x speed and I have. I've burned at 1x, 2x, 4x, and 8x on my 8x dvd+R's. So can she use 8x dvd+r's in her burner? That way I can buy a 100 pack and split it between us.

I plan to buy Taiyo Yuden, if that matters.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey moonfrog, she should be able to use 8x ty's depending if her firmware will recognize those 8x discs you are going to purchase.A firmware update may be needed.

I can use +8x verbatim and sony +1-8x on my home tv burner which is suppose to be 4x only.

I really like the sony +1-8x's. These are made in taiwan and japan-both identical packaging, the japanese ones are made by ty yuden. I can get 2.4,4,8,12, or 16x speed to choose from.The ones from taiwan will also burn at 16x.

I keep my burns at 4x. I do a lot of re-ripping my backups and play them on a lot of different stand alone players and have no issues.

Ty,s are said to be the best. I will find out. I got 350 of these sony +1-8x made by ty. Good Luck

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

right, you should be fine going with 8x media for the both of you. My old sony dw-u015 reads my 8x TY -r's as 1,2, 4x.

Good choice with the Taiyo Yuden, btw.