1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900 mb avi file...

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by whebster, Dec 19, 2006.

1. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@mystice,

If you feel you've been agrieved then it is your option to report the offending grievence to the mods, Cheers.

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

3. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 2: Dead Man's Chest is a 2 hrs plus movie, so you'll need to do 2 things (or you have 3 choices below) . Yes, even the original DVD (movie only) needs to be transcoded via DVD Shrink or Nero Recode to fit into a single layder DVD-R or DVD+R disc (I ripped, transcoded with Nero Recode and backed up mine nearly 2 weeks ago).

So a 900MB of AVI into DVD is going to take you few hours (2 1/2 at least) to convert and transcode. Below is what I usually do to any of my AVI files if it (the AVI file/s) went beyond the DVD5 capacity via Nero Vision.

* 1st - ignore Nero vision's message of going over it's limits and process/convert them as usual.
    * 2nd - once Nero Vision is done, fire up Recode or DVD Shrink and start to transcode as usual (i.e. regular backup/transcode process).
    * 3rd - you can lower the quality via Nero vision's quality settings to see if it will fit on a single DVD-R or DVD+R disc.

I don't know about others, but I have been converting and transcoding AVI files (mostly anime movies) into DVD in the past and so far nearly 95% of times, any 700MB of AVI (especially if it's 1 hr 30 minutes) will become roughly at least 4GB (depends on the quality settings). Yes, even with just 4 episodes of BLEACH anime (22 minutes long) will end up roughly 4GB.

Since I owned a 55" SONY Widescreen HDTV, I want the best quality possible. That being said, time is not an issue for me.

Again, the choice is yours, so do whatever you deemed it fits your desire.

4. Redempt80

Redempt80 Guest

gwendolin I joined only after reading your misinforming and TBH very rude post.

The poster has a 900mb avi file for a 150min movie, which already suggest the movie is bad rip, as the fiesize is pointless for CD or DVD storage, its also must use mp3 as sound, and 90% use 128k mp3 sound, so that leaves the video bitrate at about 600k/s, which is far too low for an action movie even on XviD, so TBH, stretching that onto to DVD5 size is a waste, never mind DVD9.

MysticE is correct in the fact that encoding a 700mb XviD to mpeg2 with a higher bitrate than 3-4000k is a waste, and nothing will be gained by going higher, as you cant put back what has been removed, same way your not going to get CD quality sound by converting a 192k mp3 back to an uncompressed wav.

The poster should re-encode this avi to mpeg2 using a 3900k video bitrate and 160k audio bitrate, and even this is overkill, but will fill the disc nicely enough with a basic menu, using a DVD9 on a 600k 2.0 avi is just silly.

5. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@Redempt80,

You havent seen RUDE as yet, if this is the only reason you joined AD then it's for the WRONG reason. As I stated, an AVI file of that size WILL, after conversion using NVE "blow " out to well over 4gb.....sure you can alter the B/R to make it fit to a DVD5.

If you Read what I said in my post, you ignoramus

you will see I used the wordswill probably not fit and then this, my uneducated friend
    so you may have to

So before you start jumping up and down and pounding your chest, Read my post again, this time slowly so you can understand

I look forward to some of your posts where you actually team up with your friend and help someone

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  6. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Let see, the original poster posted:
    Hmmmm.... c'mon folks, that's not too hard. Are we missing something here? Let's get it straight now, shall we?

(A) PIRATES OF CARIBBEAN 2 was a DVD ripped into 900MB AVI file.
    (B) POCB 2 is more than 2 hrs plus long (original DVD main movie).

As far as I know, any regualar 700MB AVI of DVD ripped is likely (or 99%) to be 4GB or more when converting/transcoding via Nero vision.

Cheers!!

7. Redempt80

Redempt80 Guest

Sigh, more bitching, but still no new information, and if you re-read my post, my problem wasnt with your first post, as I at no point was saying the standard setting on Nero would enable you to use a DVD5, obviously they wont, as they are based on a standard bitrate, and arent based on how welll each movie will encode, but as anyone with any XviD to DVD encoding experience will tell you turning a 700mb low bitrate XviD with mp3 sound into a DVD5 size is alot of the times pointless, and goint to DVD9 is even more pointless.

My aggrevation with you was you saying MysticE didnt know what he was talking about, and although his theory about 3 times the bitrate for going from XviD to Mpeg2 isn't exactly scientific, its actually alot of the time quite accurate.

The poster can quite easily fit this XviD onto a DVD5 with NeroVision, by adjusting the settings and will gain nothing by encoding to a DVD9 sizes.

And in what way am i uneducated, as you have no idea of life education or academic, im assuming your meaning encoding, which also doesn't stand up, as i have been encoding XviD/DVD/HDTV-TS for the last 6 years using avisynth and CCE, so please dont tell me i am uneducated with using a 1 Click transcoder.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2006
  8. MysticE

MysticE Active member

If quality is a concern a 2 step encode/transcode is not the answer. To do the initial conversion at too high a bitrate and then go back and transcode the the project again just doesn't make sense and will result in a loss of quality. The correct bitrate should be used to size the project correctly the first time. Do it right from the get go.

For a 2½ hour source (the size is of course totally irrelevant) set NVE's bitrate to about 3800 kb/s to fit a DVD-5.

This ain't rocket science. Run the AVI trough Gspot and note the running time. Then enter that time into a bitrate calculator to find the bitrate needed for a DVD-5. Fire up NVE, under More-> Video Options-> DVD-Video go to Quality setting, choose Custom then at Bitrate enter the new calculated bitrate.

Its obvious that Redempt80 understands the concepts involved and the shortcomings/trade-offs that Xvid DVD conversions entail. While convoluted statements like:
    Show a complete lack of knowledge of the whole process at a most basic level. The concept of video bitrates and how they relate to sizing and quality is one of the first things that should be learned and understood if one is to have any success at conversions and authoring. That's why for noobs, ConvertXtoDVD should be used as it will make all these (relatively simple) decisions for them.

To determine running times and check for the proper codecs get GSpot:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

To help determine the correct bitrates use this page:

http://www.videohelp.com/calc

One last observation, most Xvid's use VBR (that's variable bit rate for the noobs) mp3 audio. NeroVison Express (versions 2 and 3 at least) are not very adept at handling it and very often will produce a conversion with audio sync problems, so be forewarned. ConvertXtoDVD on the other handles VBR audio streams well.

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

How about the original poster tries 1 or more of the suggestions.

i personally use WinAVI converter 6.2 or thereabouts, but not often, nor do i use other conversion programs very often as i prefer to start with a normal dvd most of the time, good ole' DVD Shrink on a movie to fit to DVD-5 (without quality enhancements) gets better results than any converted AVI in my opinion so that's what i work with 99.9% of the time

10. Redempt80

Redempt80 Guest

Yeah, i have heard of Nero having problems with VBR audio mp3 soundtracks, but have never encountered it myself, though i only use NeroVision for testing purposes.

If your wanting the best quality on longer movies as although Nero can be very good for movies up to 2 hours, for well over, then you would be better off using DVD2SVCD and changing it to the avi2dvd mode, which would run it through avisynth, BeSweet and CCE, and will create an ISO with chapters at the end of it, and shouldnt take much longer if any longer if you use it on a 1pass VBR, and might even be quicker if used on 0vbr using D2SRoba.

But i still stick with a few posts back, for ease and speed, manually change Nero to 3900k Video, and 160k Audio, and set it to go, and you will end up with a perfectly sized DVD5 sized output, DONT ever run it through DVD Shrink afterwards, or Nero ReCode which is better than Shrink but still is a Transcoder.

And to the poster above, yeah, 99% of DVD9-DVD5 transcodes done on Shrink and NeroRecode will look better than any XviD to DVD encode, but not everyone can get a hold of DVD9's

11. creaky

- absolutely correct, just joining the thread really, to make sure it gets back on track

12. Redempt80

Redempt80 Guest

yeah, apologies if it got off-topic, wasn't my intention, especially with being a new member.

:)

13. creaky

i'm just here to see we all co-exist and play nicely :)

as i say, unfortunately i can't comment on the ins & outs of the AVI conversion questions, i just don't know enough about it all..

14. whebster

whebster Guest

guys, guys, guys, I'm sure everyones suggestions were good ones and nobody gave any bad or useless info.I appreciate all the help, but unfortunatley at this time i am vey much a newbie at all of this.So most of the stuff mentioned, i would have to try for the first time and figure out as i went.
    Btw, i ended up just reducing the quality to i think it was long play,and it fit onto a a regular lightscribe dvd-r 16x. I through it in only to check if it worked and all is good.The quality was noticbly different though, so like i said, i will go but some 9's.
    One more thing, it only played on certain stand alones, i put in in my ps2, downstairs and it said it "does'nt mat t.v." wierd iy was just text over a black screen.
    again thanks for all the help, thjis is a great site and you all obviously know what you're doing!

15. nasayin

nasayin Regular member

someone here stated that putting the movie onto a dvd9 would be pointless. So I dont know if you want to waste a dual layer disc. I believe PS2 are really picky about dvd media hence not being able to play.

From reading what Gwendolin says, she is right because if OP use nero vision to encode the avi movie, that will not fit on a dvd5 unless you reduce the quality setting.

Thanks to Redempt and Mystice - I never knew about the bitrate information and have always wonder about that. Sometimes, I even custom my bitrate close to the edge thinking I will get better quality. I guess this is not true.

This is what afterdawn is about, learning from everyone here. I am no expert by any means but try to help others who are having difficulties. I have seen numerous times where Gwendolin has helped out so many afterdawn users, including me.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  16. Redempt80

Redempt80 Guest

whebster Did you set Nero to 2 Pass encoding, this does double the time, but will get far more consistent quality than One-Pass, but as ive said, for long movies, Nero isn't always ideal, and converting from avi to DVD will always have a quality loss, no matter the DVD filesize.

As for the PS2 problem, PS2's can be fussy, but doesn't match TV sounds more like you are converting to a TV format that your PS2 doesnt support as it doesnt convert to different TV systems, if you live in UK or a european country, then go into Video Options and change Video Mode to PAL, and if you live in the USA then change it to NTSC, as it sounds like that might be the problem, so might be handy for future use.

And nasayin Nero will always fit it onto a DVD5 if you go into video options and change it from the default of High Quality which is overkill for avi encodes, and change it to Automatic (Fit To Disc)

Also its not pointless editing the bitrate to fill a disc to the brim, it wont do any harm, just dont make it so large that you have to use a DVD9 as considering how more espensive DL discs are, its a waste of money, unless you are working from another DVD9 Disc

17. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

And the result won't look good on any DVD-R, DVD+R (DVD5), especially with 900MB AVI or 2 1/2 plus hrs. It's pretty much falls in the same category/thing as lowering the quality via Nero vision's Quality setttings, so it can fit on any ordinary DVD5 disc. The minutes you change it's settings, the bitrate changes as well.

And..........

18. whebster

whebster Guest

no, i did'nt do that but i will try, if i can figure it out.
    thanks

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well my 2cents is & mind U useing Pirates of Car....I used VSO Divx to DVD to convert the AVI to DVD.The Quality was pretty damn good.Depending on the movie VSO will convert at its own byte ratio.Some movies have been 4.35 GIGS & some at less,as low as 1.5GIG.But still a viewable movie.Now mind U the quality will only be as good as the AVI File.Some I've had are pretty bad,some are as near to DVD quality as can get.Now my TV is a 60inch Sony..so the real test is in the black levels