1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$99 HD-DVD players @ Walmart & Best Buy

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Bigperm88, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Bigperm88

Bigperm88 Guest

Wow.

The HD-A2 is now under $100 at Walmart and Best buy in the US. Hopefully CC and other stores will price match.

link

IMHO this is some of the biggest news for HDM, and is fantastic news for HD-DVD.

This is a perfect time for J6P to jump into HDM. Looks like blu-rays days are numbered unless they can price match before X-Mas. Things are getting exciting.

2. b18bek9

b18bek9 Regular member

Circuit City sells the A2 for 129.99 rite now.....sounds like we have a winner....

3. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Just picked up 6 of these from Wal-Mart for myself and X-Mas. I have to say, it was one of my best investments. The upconvert on this HD-DVD player is far superior to my standard upconvert DVD player. The only downside I've seen on this is it doesn't have a digital coaxial input for my audio, but does have an optical Toslink input. I haven't tried an actual HD-DVD yet, but I plan to get Transformers tomorrow. Good investment for us video junkies! Now if they'd only do a price drop on HD-DVD burners and HD media! Maybe after X-Mas. One can only hope!

4. klinger

klinger Regular member

Wisconsin's Wal-Marts are $185.00 one of the min mark up states!!

5. mcsewnab

mcsewnab Member

I'm in WI, sucks but I went to Circuit City and grabbed one for $129.

6. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Add only 100 to this and buy a Toshiba HD-A30, I believe the A2 is bing discontinued, and replaced with the A3

The HD-A30 takes the performance and convenience of HD-DVD to the next level. For the highest level of picture quality with high definition TVs, the HD-A30 adds 1080p output for twice the resolution of a 720p signal. The HD-A30 is equipped with CE-Link HDMI-CEC connectivity. This convenient feature offers the capability to communicate with and control another HDMI-CEC compatible device all with one controller. 1080p/24 frames per second support offers a smoother, more film-like, viewing experience. The HD-A30 HD DVD player maintains this frame rate, allowing you to enjoy movies in their native frame rate. High definition playback delivers 720p/1080i/1080p resolution, up to six times the resolution of DVD. Leading-edge efficient video compression standards make it possible to experience the full potential of your HDTV. Advanced audio, including Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS HD (core only), along with legacy formats including Dolby Digital and DTS bring an increased sonic realism to movie soundtracks. Slim chassis cosmetic design is only 59.5 mm and features a sleek high gloss, black acrylic faceplate. Web-Enabled capability opens a whole new world of entertainment experiences that can include access to exciting studio-provided enhanced features. Ethernet connection allows your HD DVD player to receive updates to support future applications and services. This player is not compatible for use with Blu-Ray discs. Dimensions - Width 16.9 x Height 2.34 x Depth 12.9 Weight - 7.26 pounds
    Manufacturer: Toshiba
    EAN: 0022265000908
    Binding: Electronics
    Model: HD-A30
    MPN: HD-A30
    UPC: 022265000908
    Color: Black

Features:
    * HD DVD Playback
    * DVD/CD Playback
    * Upconversion for SD
    * 720p/1080i/1080p resolution
    * Includes Warner Bros' 300 HD DVD and Universal's The Bourne Identity HD DVD (packaged inside)

7. b18bek9

b18bek9 Regular member

yea i just picked up a HD-A3 cuz the A2 where sold out yet was worth the extra money surprised circuit city sold out the first day of the sale...good thing is it comes with 300 and bourne identity and 5 free rebate movies....good deal 7 HD movies for free and a hd player...tho the up conversion on my normal dvd's is real good....

8. rider45

rider45 Member

picked up my hd-a3 today in idaho from bestbuy and was pleased to find they offered 3 extra movies (not just 2 as some people got). so that is 10 free movies, 2 with player, 3 to pick from store and the 5 mail-in.

watched "300" and "the warriors" tonite GREAT!!!!

9. Iconaw1

Iconaw1 Member

I bought the Toshiba A2 from Wal-Mart for $98 and it was well worth it. It’s not a perfect player but has great hd picture, my Samsung upconvert dvd/vcr combo had a better upconvert picture on the regular DVD’s, but I love it none the less.

A couple of faults I have found in the HD-A2 is first Divx/mp4 playback would be nice. Other that that I found that with my wide screen TV I have to go into settings and manually switch the aspect ratio every time I play a regular DVD if not I get black box on the right and left side of the screen, an auto recognizing feature would be nice. (I have the latest firmware upgrade) Not a big deal... the picture and sound makeup for it.

I've bought the complete season of Planet Earth on HD-DVD and man I can't quit watching it.

10. militantm

militantm Member

I'm calling bs on these .the free discs offers are true but I have yet to see the A2 for $99 unless I missed the sale or "they" ran out or whatever. Right now Walmart is showing the A2 at 229 that's a far cry from 99. I don't even see the A2 at best buy. the links in this thread for the free discs are for real, but links in other threads about a $99 A2 are bogus. Do you people work for Toshiba? Bottom line, I can wait until the price goes down for real. Like Howard Stern says high definition? I don't know that I need anymore definition than I'm getting right now.

11. b18bek9

b18bek9 Regular member

militantm try circuit city or best buy think they go for 129.99$ i know the had sales for 99$ but alot of places sell the A2 for 129.99$ and the A3's for 199.99$

12. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007