1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A cool trick for creating poster size prints

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by omronguru, Sep 25, 2004.

1. omronguru

omronguru Guest

Trust me this really works, I didn't believe it till I tried it, but the results just blew me away!
    take a normal image, even a scanned 6"x4". Under Image menu chose Image size, make sure resample image is selected, change the unit of measurement from inches to percent and type in 110 to increase your image by 10%, and this is the cool bit, by increasing your image in 10% increments, for some bizarre reason it doesn't seem to soften or blur the image.
    Obviously to get the image up to poster size it will take quite a number of iterations of the increase by 10%, but if you have Photoshop 7 or above, (or elements I think) then you can create a custom action to do it for you at the press of one key!
    I have used this to print a 6x4 scan at A2 size, the results are astounding, equally as good as using an expensive plugin such as genuine fractals, and for no extra cost!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2005
  2. kinza

kinza Regular member

what program are you using? photoshop?

3. omronguru

omronguru Guest

Yes Photoshop, I have used it in both photoshop 7 & CS as well as photoshop elements.

4. kinza

kinza Regular member

ill try it out, what do you call poster size?

5. omronguru

omronguru Guest

I have taken a 6x4 upto A2 with no loss and I have seen an A4 taken to A0 this way and produce impressive results.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2005
  6. kinza

kinza Regular member

thanks for the tips. u think any other program will do?

7. kinza

kinza Regular member

oh yeah, how many megapixels does your camera have?

8. omronguru

omronguru Guest

I my camera is 8MP now, but I have done it with images from a 2.1mp and scanned 6x4 images scanned at 300dpi.
    I guess the principle of upping the image by 10% each time would work in any program that allows you to up the size by percentage but I have only used it in Adobe products.

9. kinza

kinza Regular member

that's good news for me. i have a 3 mp camera.

10. ckcc

ckcc Member

yes this technique works quite well to enlarge images. also works when resampling to a smaller size. Paint Shop Pro is what I use. Also the free program Irfanview works well too. Some do a better job of resampling than others.

11. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

omronguru how did you learn about this trick ?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  12. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

just getting into photosop.. but this is one cool thing

13. Hmmmh

Hmmmh Regular member

If you have Photoshop CS, best result comes if you use Bicubic Smoother for resampling images larger and Bicubic Sharper for resampling images smaller. You can also use Nearest Neighbor (it's kinda like resampling off) if you have cartoons or other pictures with "sharp edges". Nearest Neighbor and Bilinear (a bad compromise between these options) are also faster.

It's also good to scan your pictures with scanners best resolution and resample it smaller with Bicubic Sharper to the size you prefer.

14. omronguru

omronguru Guest

ydkjman I learnt this from a member of the camera club I attend

15. kinza

kinza Regular member

are there any tutorials online for photoshop cs 2?

16. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

v.nice tip omronguru, one problem for me though how do i find out when it's ready to be printed on A4 and mesuarements and how do i create a shortchut I have adobe vers 8 CS

Thanks i shall be using this alot enlarging the image all in one buggars up the picture this will help me... alot!

Kinza tell Sahid Afridi i said hi, youve had an awful lot of complients on your sig aint u

17. kinza

kinza Regular member

ooooo, someone knows something about cricket. yay! yes i have had my handful of compliments. one interesting thing, when my mom and brother went to pakistan last year they were flying on an emirates plane and that was the same plane the pakistan cricket team was using to fly to australia for a match. quite interesting, they saw inzi and shoaib akhtar, the rest of them had their backs turned. they have a picture :)

18. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

shoaib aint as fast as he ust 2 b, I like danish kaneria though hes very good, gets alot of turn.

Anyways

19. kinza

kinza Regular member

where are you from? i still like shoaib, but he's getting out of control for pakistan's team.

20. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Nice work omronguru

I did it with CS2 and it works surprisingly well. Thanks for doing whatever you did to figure this one out.