1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Couple DVD Burning Questions

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Steven901, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Steven901

Steven901 Member

1. I am about to purchase a dvd burner, and I was told that I should get one with -/+, But I have no idea what that means (? -/+ ?)

2.Also, Is there anyway to fit more than 120 minutes on a dvd, because when you write tv shows on dvd, you can fit like 4 22:00 min episodes, but when you go buy the official dvd in store (ex: Friends Season 6) there is 7 25:00 episodes on one disc, whats up with that

Any help would be appreciated

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Most writers are now dual format , ie; -R(W) & +R(W)
    It used to be the case that -R was slightly more compatible , and can be the case with some older dvd players.
    It doesn't really matter too much these days though.
    I strongly recommend going for a Pioneer burner , from owning one & talking to ppl via this forum for a long time I know that they have excellent pedigree :)

Yes of course you can fit more than 120 minutes on DVD-Video (lol)... BUT you will have to compress the DVD files more than likely.
    See it's not so much about length of time but about size of video files , an original DVD might be ... say 5.8GB (and still 4.9GB after extracting menu & extras) so it will need compressing/shrinking to fit onto 4.36GB blank disc.
    Original DVDs like you buy in the store for instance are DVD-9 [dual layer] is why they can hold more than 120minutes. Is also how Lord Of The Rings (non extended version) is on one DVD...

You need to read some my friend , welcome & please feel free to browse about.!:)

3. Steven901

Steven901 Member

The one I was looking at purchasing is an HP one (can't afford a pioneer burner)

This is the decription, Does this sound good? (copied and pasted from ebay)

Product Description This auction is for a HP DVD300i 4x DVD Writer DVD+R/RW !!!!! This item is sealed, FROM HP! What a deal!!! .Please read below for technical specs:

HP DVD300i 4x DVD Writer DVD+R/RW CD-RW
    (M/N #Q2108AR)

Got 15 minutes? Write a DVD in a flash with the DVD writer dvd300i. This speedy device also lets you preserve up to 4.7GB of photos, video, and graphics.

write DVDs twice as fast as with earlier technology
    edit, share, and preserve video and digital photos
    back up information on DVDs and CDs
    use one convenient software program to capture, author, and edit material: ArcSoft ShowBiz DVD
    edit a DVD without rewriting the entire disk
    download video to portable devices for transporting it and giving presentations
    reliably back up, protect, and restore files or your entire hard drive
    watch DVD movies from the convenience of your own computer
    create a photo slide show or album to view on your PC or TV with HP Memories Disc Creator
    drag and drop files to CD or DVD from Windows Explorer, or save directly from any application

specifications
    interface IDE
    loading mechanism tray, dust sealed
    transfer rates DVD write: up to 4x, re-write: up to 2.4x, read: up to 8x
    CD write: up to 16x, rewrite: up to 10x, read: up to 40x

buffer memory size 2 MB
    write methods create: track at once, disk at once, incremental packet writing (variable and fixed packets per Orange Book part II), Random Access Write (DVD+RW), Sequential Write (DVD+R, +RW)
    copy: session at once, multisession (CD-RW and CD-R only)

power requirements +5 VDC ���±5%
    +12 VDC ���±10%

logical recording format UDF 1.02 and 1.5, ISO 9660, CD-DA
    encoding method EFM, EFM Plus
    performance sustained transfer rate:
    1x CD = 150 KB/s (data mode 1)
    1x DVD = 1353 KB/s
    write:
    CD-R: 4x, 8x, 16x (CLV)
    CD-RW: 4x, 10x (CLV)
    DVD+RW: 2.4x (CLV)
    DVD+R: 2.4x, 4x (CLV)
    read:
    CD-ROM: up to 40x (CAV)
    DVD-ROM: up to 8x (CAV)
    burst transfer rate: 33 MB/second
    seek time:
    125 ms average random access (CD-ROM)
    200 ms average full-stroke access (CD-ROM)
    disc finalization time:
    DVD: <2 minutes at 4x
    CD: 1 minute typical at 4x (1x CD = 150 KB/s)

reliability (corrected error rate) Audio, Data Mode 2, and Mode 2 Form 2: less than 1uncorrectable frame in 109 bits read
    Data Mode 1 and Mode 2 Form 1: less than 1 uncorrected frame in 1012 bits read

video standards PAL, NTSC
    media compatibility write: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R media
    read: DVD-ROM, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-Video, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA, CD Extra, CD-ROM (Mode 1 - Yellow Book), CD-ROM XA & CD-I (Mode 2/Form 2 - Green Book) CD-Bridge & Photo-CD (single and multi-session), CD-Video

environmental ranges operating temperature: 5���° to 50���° C (41���° to 122���° F)
    operating humidity: 90% maximum, non-condensing

acoustics sound power: 5.15 B(A) (per ISO 9296)
    sound pressure: 55 dB(A)

power consumption 25 watts maximum
    system requirements minimum system requirements: 600 MHz Intel���® Pentium���® III processor or equivalent (800 MHz Pentium���® III processor
    or higher recommended), 128 MB RAM, for video disc creation: video capture device
    minimum hard disk space requirements: 500 MB free for included software installation, 10 GB free for DVD video disc creation
    operating systems: Microsoft Windows XP, Me, 98SE, 2000 Professional SP2

Note: Windows 2000 Server/Advanced Server, and all version of Windows CE are not supported
    dimensions
    (W x D x H)/
    weight 5.83 x 7.74 x 1.66 in (146 x 198 x 42.3 mm) / 2.3 lb (1.06 kg)
    software included ArcSoft ShowBiz DVD: Incorporate your video footage, photos and music into DVD titles. Easily transfer your video footage directly from your camcorder or VCR to DVD discs. Edit video, cut unwanted video footage, add transitions and special effects, and rearrange scenes
    Veritas DLA: Drag and drop files to DVD or CD from Windows Explorer or save directly from an application
    Veritas RecordNow: Create data DVDs. Create data or music CDs
    Veritas Simple Backup: Reliably back up, protect and restore individual files or folders or restore your entire hard drive. Includes disaster recovery
    HP Memories Disc Creator: Create a photo slideshow or album disc that can be viewed on your PC or TV
    Cyberlink PowerDVD: Play DVD movies on your PC

4. herbsman

If you buy a DVD burner from e-bay , the best of luck to you !:)

[is NOT something I would do]

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

For only £115 you can get yourself a DVD writer that writes a DVD in 7mins, like me :)

Herbsman is itching to get one --> did u get it yet.

6. herbsman

No , will wait to hear more on the dual layer shiznit first bro ;-)

7. Slofire

Slofire Member

I got a LG 4081B for 155CDN whatever that is in Pounds or USD i don't know, but so far I have had no problems with that and it burns at 8x. Its substatially Less than the Pioneer. I am very happy with mine. It write -/+ and Ram disks.

Note: I should say the only media i have tried are the Ritek R03 8x +r, ritek G04 4x -r, Maxell DVD-RW and Sony DVD +/- r, all have worked flawlessly.

Only thing i have found with mine is that Primo and Record Now do not recognize it, but *every* other program does.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, noticed that woth Record Now also, im getting on to Orilogix about it.

By the way 155CDN is around £63 sterling so it is a lot cheaper. However, you can get the Pioneer DVR107 for $164 US which is around £83 sterling. So im not sure what it is in Canada