1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A decade (NOT) to remember - 00s

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by sadsac, Apr 2, 2005.

1. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I just saw a commercial for 80s music on TV. It got me thinking about the current decade we're living in. We lovingly know most decades for their defining moments and changes in style. Oddly enough, we remember most decades by music style.

The 70s were known for hippies and free love. I didn't grow up in this era, but I remember CCR, Bread, The Eagles, The Doobie Brothers, and the Stones. "Bring back the bell bottoms", I say!(NOT)

The 80s were known for hair bands and punk. Poison, Whitesnake, Guns N' Roses, Madonna. Anyone up for some Cyndi Lauper?..."gag me with a spoon!" Damn. Now where did I put that extra pair of parachute pants?

The 90s were a little weird. The Backstreet Boys, Michael Bolton, Phil Collins, Hanson(gag). Bad English (and I'm not talking about jibberish posts here). Madonna even seemed to endure this era. Pop culture, anyone? Don't you love your grunge look? Did anyone else criss-cross their wide shoelaces in a checkerboard pattern?

With this in mind, I drew a blank when thinking about the decade we currently live in. Where's the defining style? What trends (other than the birth of reality TV) can be seen now? It seems the defining soul is gone. And what will we even call it? We're going from the awful 80s to the terrible (pop culture) 90s to what? The nasty 00s? Sounds a little weird saying the "two thousands", doesn't it?

I know we're only halfway through, but I can't think of any defining "BREAKOUT" music or styles to mark this decade. And please don't say "GOTH". That vote doesn't count!

2. philipman

philipman Regular member

I know alot of people don't like rap but I love the rap of these times!

3. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I used to listen to a little rap when I was growing up. But it was "clean" rap. Fat Boyz, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch type stuff.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i hope Pop doesn't becoming the defining music...it's just plain embarassing.

[edit] speaking of that, i piss on you, American Idol.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  5. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i agree the music of this decade has no definition . it seems that music is now just being put together for the sake of making money with no inspiration behind it .

6. Repoman89

Repoman89 Member

I agree that the 'popular' music of today is terrible (with the exception of something like Velvet Revolver, which are only OK) but believe it or not there is good music out today. Listen to Dream Theater, Evergrey, Opeth, and other less known music. It's all about underground prog rock!

Oh yeah, everyone tries to be a gangster these days, so I guess that would be the 'defining style'

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i wonder if techno/electronica will ever have a decade.

8. sadsac

sadsac Guest

dlc2000:

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It seems that everyone is re-releasing, re-recording, or re-mixing all the old stuff. I know some of the old stuff is VERY hard to beat, but it just seems like the soul has gone out of music these days.

And as for clothing styles, I really can't think of any fads lately....other than that God-awful GOTH that I've been seeing.

Not that that the lack of fads is a bad thing. I mean, parachute pants were cool in their day, but if I were to go back in time, I would laugh at everybody that wore them to school with me.

Where has the heart and soul gone? Is it that everything that CAN be done HAS been done?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2005
  9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i want to see death metal come to it's prime. i know you hate goth stuff, sadsac, (and believe me...i have a style all my own...those kids that dress in all black all the time and paint their faces just make me feel sad about everyone wanting to feel pain or something...morons) but some of the music is really good. i'm a fan of slipknot, korn, static-x, and manson not just because i like some of the messages but because i have an addiction to down-tuned guitars and the deep rumble of bass. if you really give it a chance, you'll find that talented groups do put out some quality stuff. at the very least, it's something different from the rest of the shit out there.

10. sadsac

sadsac Guest

It's not the head banging stuff I hate. I just hate that awful all black clothing with black lip gloss, eye shadow, nose rings, etc.

I like some Korn now.

I wonder what the new album will be like since Brian Welch left.......

I respect the man for what he did. I think he swayed a lot of wayward souls toward the light.

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

what really bothers me is when they paint the red tears and crap around their eyes...it's such a cry for attention it gives me a headache!

i'm happy for Head. sure, he left the group for religion (personally, i could have stayed), but now i think he's finally gonna find peace. he was a truly tortured guy, i believe. well, all the members of Korn had traumatic childhoods, but Head still had it bad. he's a very talented guitarist, and i wish him all the best. i hope that whatever group he joins next will have cds for sale soon.

12. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Historically though, if he starts a christian band, it will probably not do very well.

Creed was fair while they lasted, but now even they have split.

I was reading some stuff about Korn....that they were all sexually assaulted and abused when they were growing up. That's where the hate in their music came from. Truly hatred from the heart for those who wronged them. I was shocked when I heard that Head left for religion. I think it's honerable.

I think Korn's version of "The Wall" is about the most awesome and powerful song I've heard. Some people don't like it because they're Floyd fans, but IMO, Korn's version kicks ass.

I know what I said about re-making old songs and not coming up with anything new, but this song is an exception to the rule!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2005
  13. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

in my opinion i think the reason why filesharing is so popular is because there isnt much music out there worth paying for . i mean why pay for crap ?

i dont think filesharing is hurting the riaa like they say it is . people just arent buying todays crap , thats the reason why they are not making the money they expect . if there was more quality music being released they would make more money . they cant expect to make millions off of music that is manufactured , the art of music has been lost in my opinion . its manufactured with no inspiration .

14. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Most Goths are posers. Real Goths however... it will surprise you how amazing their personality is and what they've been through. The others are just props you ignore.

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

sadsac, have you heard korn's song "daddy" from their first album? it's the last track and, to me, is their most moving song ever. at the end, john davis is actually crying. he wasn't supposed to, but he started crying and screaming while he was singing it, and the song went from an original time of 4 minutes to almost 8...then they added some recording of his dad yelling and being an ass to bring it to 18 minutes...but those first 8 almost made me cry. lol, i was watching a korn dvd where they first recorded it, and Fieldy was crying as he watched john sing. blew my mind :p

16. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I haven't heard that song yet. I agree with the filesharing thing also. I used to use WinMx for filesharing. It took forever to download a song. Then, I started hearing about all those people being sued, so I stopped it altogether. I haven't used a filesharing app in about a year and a half. I buy all my music now. I usually wait for it to go on sale at Best Buy. If I catch it as soon as it comes out, I can usually buy it there for $10.

I'm still waiting for a new "defining" band or singer for the times. There are still a few enduring artists who'll probably be around for decades to come, but I can't think of anyone in recent years that will be of the same caliber. I really like 3 doors down, but I don't like their new album. It's nowhere as good as their first two.

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

gotta love System of a Down. They keep getting better and better. :)

18. retro78

retro78 Member

I like that 80's sound, but gimmy DJ Tiƫsto anyday.
    It gives me that rave sensation!

[​IMG]

19. sadsac

sadsac Guest

One word.......DEVO!

20. retro78

retro78 Member

DEVO ???? WTF