1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A decent DVD Ripper with subtitle offset setting?

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by burton159, Nov 18, 2005.

1. burton159

burton159 Member

Hi,

BACKGROUND:
    Im using IMToo DVD Ripper to burn DVD`s, and then convert them to mp4 (PSP) format, for playing on my mobile phone (Sharp903SH, 4:3 - 320x240 screen).

To get rid of the black 16:9 margins, I use the cropping settings in the DivX encoder (Top and Bottom 30 each). Then, to bring the subtitles back up inside the screen, I set the Subtitle Offset to minus 28.

PROBLEM: IMToo DVD Ripper seems to be such an unstable program while its ripping, (ie. it slows down and speeds up etc as its reading from the DVD back to the RAM) and so the video output freezes occaisionally at those same spots. I tried increasing the RAM buffering setting in the program, but the same problem occurs, just less frequently.

QUESTION:

Does anyone know of a stable DVD ripping program that has the following changeable settings in it:

- Cropping
    - Subtitle Offset
    - (Volume also would be good but not essential)

Appreciate any help on this.

Thanks.

2. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Hi,

I use imtoo dvd ripper and here is a suggestiion. Use dvd decrypter (found in the software section tab at the top of the page) to rip the dvd to your hard drive first. Then use imtoo dvd ripper to convert. It alleviates the "strain" on your dvd drive and your hard drive which if you don't have sufficient memory can cause it to swap. I think it might solve your problem.

3. burton159

burton159 Member

thanks, Ill give it a try.

Although, I dont have the problem when i use other ripping software. The cpu speed and fps speed always stay constant and the output video is therefore smooth. Unfortunately IMToo dvd ripper is the only one i can find that has the subtitle offset, cropping and volume settings all in one.