1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Disk Read Error Occurred CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by melissa84, Jan 18, 2006.

1. melissa84

melissa84 Guest

Very sorry if this has been asked, I did look around.

My father has been having trouble with a “Frankenstein” computer he bought from a local shop that makes custom built machines. Other then the fact that it runs XP home I have no idea about the specs. From what I can tell the PC is full of spyware and likely a virus or two, it kept gettin slower and slower and eventually got to the point where it won't even boot up. Upon starting up the computer recently we received the dreaded Windows XP screen

A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

Restarted, fiddled with the BIOS, tried to boot from disk but I still get them same screen.

Any help? Is there a better place I could ask about this at?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2006
  2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

fidling with the bios isnt going to help. it sounds to me like the hard drive is knackered. try reinstalling windows but if your having read errors the drive isnt going to last a whole lot longer before it breaks again

3. DVDBURNUP

DVDBURNUP Guest

what I would do is find out the make and model of the Hard drive. ALL the manufacturers of hard drives have free downloadable utilities that will fit on a floppy that you boot from. I probably do not have to tell you how to set your bios to boot from the floppy drive, sounds like you are an expert at working with the bios. Once you boot from the floppy they have utilities that will tell you the health of your hard drive ....IE, bad sectors, read errors ...etc

4. Hoggie

Hoggie Member

It's a well known Issue with XP - see http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/19004/

There are many suggestions on how to fix it, not all work for everyone unfortunately. I'm currently stuck with the same problems. Do not throw out the HD thinking it's faulty, it's probably not

5. melissa84

melissa84 Guest

Thank you, I was on the verge of doing just that. ~lol~ I'll check it out.

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Use your Windows XP Cd and go to the Recovery Console to repair !

7. melissa84

melissa84 Guest

I can't get the CD to start it goes right to the message. I've tried to boot through the BIOS but I can't get that to work either.

8. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Shut down the PC --- put your finger on the DELETE key of your keyboard --- start your PC.. this should take you to the BIOS screen.

Change the boot order to read Cd-ROM - Put your Windows XP Cd in and restart your PC !

9. melissa84

melissa84 Guest

Yes I tried that first thing when the problem started, thank you though.

I belive something may be wrong with my CD-Rom drive as it was having trouble opening and closeing before this started anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2006