1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions about getting a new burner.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by voicenyc, Nov 1, 2007.

1. voicenyc

voicenyc Member

I've been getting the cycle redundancy check error too much now on my home pc which has a SONY DVD RW DRU-500A burner in it. I've switched media and same thing. At first I was using dvd xcopy and never had an problem unitl recently. I then moved to dvd shrink and now I'm still getting the error. I than tried AnyDVD and Clone DVD. Same results.

So I'm looking into buying a new burner. I want to be able to use it with my IBM T40 notebook and my home pc in my office. So I've narrowed my choices down to the Pioneer 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-212DBK - OEM based on the reviews I've read about hear.

I want to place it in this External Drive Enclosure.

My question I have is about the SATA connection. Will this matter since I'm using a External Drive Enclosure? If yes is there a way around it or should I just buy the ATA version?

Another issue I have is I like the Lighscribe feature since i don't burn a lot of dvds the train on the laser shouldn't be affected too much. so which burner would be my next choice that has this feature?

2. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Before buying a new burner, you must take note that alot of your errors might be a result of your software, not your burner. Try DVD Fab Decrypter and see if that doesn't fix your problems. Be sure AnyDVD isn't running while you use it.

If you do get an external burner, I don't think you'll notice a big difference b/w SATA and ATA rather than price. If you want a good external burner, stick with LG or Lite-On as they both have Lightscribe capabilities. I've also heard a lot of people having success with Ben-Q burners, but cannot vouch for them.

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

FYI, SATA burners won't work with that enclosure.

4. voicenyc

voicenyc Member

I clicked the LG link and didn't see any burners for pc's.

5. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Try this link from Newegg.