1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions about homebrew with M3 Simply

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Patzor, May 14, 2007.

1. Patzor

Patzor Member

Hi, I was considering buying M3 Simply and a MicroSD card for my DS and would be pleased if you could answer some questions for me:

1. Can I still play DS/GBA games from the original cartridge once I have the firmware installed?
    2. Do downloaded DS ROMs work fully? (eg, touch screen, wifi)
    3. Is there a chance of bricking my DS?

Thanks in advance.

2. punkass44

punkass44 Member

hello mate, im new to the ds aswell,
    i can answer a couple of your Q's
    Q1= you can still play ds and gba games as the m3 does not change the firmware in any way.

Q2= ds roms work with touch screen, not sure about wifi.(only had the ds and m3 a couple of days) gba roms dont work

Q3= i have read about 2 bad roms that were going about a while back, chances of coming across one are said to be rare.

hope this helps

3. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

1. Installing a new firmware is completely optional, and to be honest there is very little reason to do so with the new slot-1 devices. All DS and GBA games will work if you do decide to install the FlashMe firmware, I am not sure about custom firmwares working though.

2. Touch screen and Nintendo WFC (online play) work perfectly, multicart multiplayer (everyone has the game) works perfectly. Only thing that dosn't work with all games is download play (where you send the game to another DS to do multiplayer) as the RSA signiture is removed by the M3.

3. Next to none, any DS virus should be picked up by your computer antivirus if you download one, there is also a DS virus scanner so you can scan the files before you put them on the DS. You can also install the FlashMe firmware as this adds a restore function to a protected area of the flash memory that a virus cannot access. In the whole time I have been in the DS scene (long time) I have never downloaded any virus for the DS. The M3 does not access anything on the DS that could brick it so you do not have to worry about that either. The most common cause of a bricked DS would be people messing up the installation of FlashMe, but most of these are prats who don't follow instructions.

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  4. Patzor

Patzor Member

Thanks for the answers, I can't wait to try this out!