1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions for the knowledgeable.....many responses welcomed

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by homerun, Jun 5, 2002.

1. homerun

homerun Guest

The basic question I have is.....what is the best way/configuration to make the quality of a VCD or SVCD fantastic for a big screen TV??? I tried both the Panasonic Encoder 2.51 and TMPGEnc, but both seem to only have home video type quality. Is there a way to take an AVI and make it look really good? Maybe my settings caused a bad copy!

Second question.....I burned my first batch to VCD, is there a greater difference burning to SVCD?

Third question.....If my DVD player handles VCD will it also handle SVCD?

I truly appreciate any and all knowledge provided by the users of this group. Thank you for your time.

Homer

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Please remember that you can't get the output to be any better than your original source is -- in your case, the AVI. Best bet is to encode the clip using TMPGEnc's 2-pass VBR SVCD mode. Takes forever and one movie requires 3 CDs if you wish to have good/excellent quality, but it's worth it.

VCD and SVCD are structurally pretty much identical, but their encoding format is totally different and therefor VCD burning and SVCD burning are different procedures.

And no, the fact that your player supports VCD doesn't mean it will support SVCD as well. It depends on your player. http://www.vcdhelp.com/ has a good list of DVD players and their compatibilities.

3. homerun

homerun Guest

So you say that it depends on the quality I get - what should I be looking for as far as resolution and bit rate when I download?

Thanks also - these are the types of answers I was looking to get.

Anyone else have some insight - feel free to post - much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2002
  4. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

hey from previous experience I have sharned up some images with color correction in tmpenc but the overall quality can not get any better. the best thing for you to do is by testing things out for yourself. Get into a trial and error phase, try it if it works great but always be prepared for error...