1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions, please help! :)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by glencoe6, Dec 4, 2004.

1. glencoe6

glencoe6 Guest

Hello there,

First time poster... I had a few question that i was hoping you could help me with. Im making some dvds right now and im encoding them from avi files to mpegs. I was wondering if theres a quicker way to do this? How is it possible that a 200mg file takes so long to convert? 4 hours? Are there any quicker programs that will make it go faster?

Also, i would like to make an menu for my dvd. You know "choose scene" "delete scenes" And you just use your controller to control it? But i want an animated background with some kind of movie clip and with the logo on the menu as well for the movie title.

If anyone can point me in the right way, id greatly appreciate it! Thank you

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi glenco6, Welcome to Afterdawn!!

Encoding is a lot of work for your PC so that may be a factor. Also the program you are using can make a difference. It takes a while any way you look at it though. I've done a few .avis, some downloaded, some camcorder stuff. I use TMPGEnc for some, I also have a Main Concept encoder that I use sometimes. I even use the one that comes with NeroVision Express. I have another from Cucusoft called AVI to VCD DVD converter. I like the TMPGEnc encoder the best. It seems faster but I never actually time them. I have a pretty fast PC designed for video work so speed is not a problem.

You can actually do your whole process with NeroVision Express, including adding a clip and adding text effects. If you want to get a more professional look you can spend a bunch of money on a program like Premiere Pro. When you start getting into the more expensive programs you will find that they will not do a bunch of different things. Premiere is a capture and editing program.

Once you are finished there you need something like Adobe Encore or DVD Lab to author the edited video. This just means adding a menu and some structure to your project. Pretty much anything you see on a commercial DVD can be done to yours with the right PC and programs. It takes some practice and some patience but it is worth it.

Here are some Premiere tutorials that show just what can be done.
    http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/tut_premierepro.htm

Here are some NeroVision Express tutorials to give you an idea of what you can do with that program:
    http://nero.com/us/631956523192996.html

Cheers,
    Frank

3. glencoe6

glencoe6 Guest

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the help. im going to look into it and see what i can come up with. thanks for the help! if its ok im gonna message u if i need help. thanks again for taking the time in helping out. appreciate it :)