1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a few ?'s

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by swishers, Mar 27, 2006.

1. swishers

swishers Member

I just got another computer from a buddy of mine, its a emonster p3 w/10 gb hdd. I wanted to try and install Linux on it and just use that as the operating system since i already have a pc with xp. I used his emachines recovery disc and just booted to dos, ran fdisk, deleted the partition but i didnt create another partition. I dont have a copy of the emachine recovery disk. If i burn say redhat fedora core to a disc and pop it there will it be able to partition the hdd then install the os or do i have to use a special partioning tool like acronis or partition magic or is that if you already have an os installed? Will a partition program allow me to boot from the disc and partition or do i need the emachines cd? I read something that said knoppix live has a partition tool, is that any good to use? I tryed using a win 98 startup disk so i can use f disk but it doesnt work. Also what would be a good linux to use with this computer? i was thinking fedora.

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

3. swishers

swishers Member

cool, thanks

4. swishers

swishers Member

i tried installing fedora core 5. I got to disk 4 and it was 100 % then it reboot and it says error loading operating system. Is my hdd to small for it. It is only a 10 gb.

5. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

No linux isn't that big

6. swishers

swishers Member

I burned Fedora 4 on dvd and installed it. Its running very slow and looks like crap on this magitronic monitor. Now i need to figure out how to get connected. Right now its not recognizing the hardware.

7. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

10 GB might be too little then...
    You could try using Damn Small Linux...

8. swishers

swishers Member

i cant get the ethernet card to work