1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few suggestions

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by LOCOENG, Jul 7, 2006.

1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

We need a hidden forum (invites only), a regular members forum if you will. It is hidden from the rest of the forum and only accessible via invite...access can be revoked if you don't behave and play well with others.

I would also like to see the individual posts numbered and be able to display as a single post in a new screen for linking to a single post instead of an entire thread. This way when you link to another thread when giving advice you can link to the specific post instead of a thread that might have pages and pages of information. This will cut down on the copy and pasting and take away the temptation of taking others work as your own.

2. d4tlh

d4tlh Guest

can somebody tell me how you get pictures on threads and become a member!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2006
  3. ireland

ireland Active member

Newbie to Junior Member -- 25 posts
    Junior Member to Member -- 100 posts
    Member to Senior Member -- 500 posts
    Senior Member to Addict -- 2500 posts
    anyone to Moderator -- determination and bribes to admins
    anyone to Admin -- decent six-figure (euros or dollars, they are not picky) lump sum to AfterDawn's Swiss bank account

Also,posts made in the safety valve do not count.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

@LOCOENG

I like your suggestions, especially the one about the linking to an entire thread, some of those threads would take years to read and nobody really wants too unless they have too much time on their hands.

5. LOCOENG

Thanks arniebear...that way I could link to your first post in the ripit4me thread which is the guide itself, instead of the entire thread.

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Loco, nice idea..

Wonder if I would be invited?

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

naaaa!!

8. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Lol, I can imagine people bitching to be invited, and who would choose? It would all be based on favouritism..

Scott, [bold]and anyone else who wants to link to individual posts[/bold], if you click "report offensive post" on the post you wanna link to, or [​IMG] if you want to link to your own msg, then follow this..

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1077/1022jg.jpg
    http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/5157/2027nk.jpg

9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Hmmm, didn't think so.......Thanks for the vote of confidence! LOL!

I remember a line in Futurama, Bender had asked Leela why she liked him, we found later; Bender said "She likes my in your face humour".

I think there could be a lot of favouritism. I have the people I like & I am sure others are the same. Each brings there own individuality to the forum. Who would be picked, how would they be picked?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  10. LOCOENG

The picking would be done by the mods and admin in a collective effort, kinda in the same way promotions were done way back when.

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i figured out how to link to a specific post within a thread instead of just a specific page of a thread; that's only due to the mod's extra buttons though, ie i can identify the exactly post 'number' by hovering over the edit post button in a thread, then adapting that to the link from the email that you get for the thread...

..ie the link for this thread here - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/362463 can be amended to

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/362463#2149575 (i just added on the '#2149575' bit to the end to go to a reply by ireland.

edit- very similar to Lethal_B's suggestion above

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  12. ireland

ireland Active member

LOCOENG
    idea IS A DAM GOOD IDEA of a number for each post in a thread

example's
    each post would have this title in its top line in a thread

« Reply #1 on Jul 5th, 2006 at 1:04pm »
    « Reply #49 on Today at 12:05am »
    « Reply #45 on Yesterday at 5:41pm »

13. LOCOENG

Exactly like that ireland....the number would actually act like a clickable link and open just that one post in a new window.

14. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

That seems like a lot of messing about when you can already link to single posts..

15. ireland

ireland Active member

16. LOCOENG

That is another option....instead of an active link.

17. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Now I'm running some interesting script blockers..following the info in the thread I can do this by hovering over the report button..

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/362939#2154253 for Lethal and http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/362939#2156069 for the creakster.. It's called scriptblocker.. A firefox plugin.

That's going to save heaps of copy/paste for me.. :D

As to the invite forum..what's going to stop it turning into a real pit of vipers? hang on.. Invite all the badmouth little n00bs and let them flame themselves into a perma ban. I like that idea :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2006
  18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Holy Crap, how the hell do you do that?

We are truly not worthy Jan!

19. pyffy

pyffy Regular member

Playing devil's advocate here but.....I thought AD already had one..Called the Mod's Lounge?

What purpose would a private forum in a Public Forum like AD serve?

Who would it serve? The elite? Who decides who are the members of the elite club? What would the criteria be for elitism?

Surely there are better ways to communicate with select others, P.M's, messenger services, skype...the list is endless.

The purpose for a public forums is exactly that it is public. All information is available to all members. hence the definition of forum:

I am all for people doing their own thing and starting their own members only club, but does it need to be a part of AD?

Just a thought......

20. LOCOENG

This is an explanation of the Regular Members Forum from another forum that I belong to...it's identity will remain undisclosed.

Posted by Admin

Posted by a mod

The Mod Lounge is just that, for the mods to use. This would be a subforum in which the long standing regular members of the site in conjunction with the mods and admin can use to discuss issues that affect the site but don't necessarily need to be obtainable by the entire forum. It is not an elitist idea, it is more of a reward for those members who have put in the time at AD that want to contribute to the site without the distractions of those members who...well cause distractions.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006