1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a grouchey facebooker and his infested pc.

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Kannz, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Kannz

Kannz Regular member

I have a relative who for some reason can't go on the internet without ravaging his computer with adware and spyware and maybe a topping of viruses I'm not sure. all I really know is he runs norton 360 its always "failing to fix" and every time I have to waste time reinstalling it to have start "failing to fix" a few weeks later. also the computer is horribly slowed down and every once in a while it has to be restarted a few times. not from updates or anything just from not able to click on anything or start any programs. sometimes it just bluescreens while doing scans and it also has weird connection problems whenever installing or updating virus software. also he uses windows xp home. I suggested to him to reformat but he gets all mad saying he doesn't want to reinstall all his stuff and all that. anyone else got any ideas? I also suggested to install opensuse/fedora/ubuntu but he thinks linux is some kinda of crazy thing for hackers and pirates. I told him its more likely a pirate would use windows xp or windows 7 than linux but he lost his patience and started ignoring me.

EDIT: thank you for moving my post to the correct forum

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. aldan

aldan Active member

well,we do have our resident "expert" but im pretty sure he would have to deal directly with your relative.norton,to me,is a sure sign he doesnt know shite from shinola and his attitude with you further strengthens that impression. one of the biggest reasons besides ignorance for his plight is the fact that he is using an unsupported version of windows.might as well paint a target on his computer.if this was my relative he would be on his own,pure and simple.not meaning to be snarky here but you can only do so much for people and even less than that when they dont want to be helped.he really needs to wipe his drive and run a supported os like win7,if his computer will run it.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

aldan, xp is still supported by ms til this april.

4. Kannz

Kannz Regular member

He also won't let go of internet explorer. I tried installing firefox chrome and even opera but when he got some kind of malware while using one of them he uninstalled all of them and started yammin at me and saying because I installed the other browsers it was my fault some how. He even said that because I had all the computers on the network in one workgroup it was somehow "messing" with his computer. so I changed his to their own workgroup even though I knew it didn't matter and only makes it to where there isn't any printer/file sharing over the network to/from his computer.(lol right?) there are 4 total computers on the network and only the two computers he uses are messed up somehow with malware.(both use norton 360) there aren't any crashes or freezing on the other two that dual boot opensuse and win7 both using comodo internet security. He told me he would "fix it" but he can barely set up his email so I'll let him have fun for a few days with the bsod and restarting till he breaks and wants me to reformat and put a new install of xp and maybe dual boot with opensuse to show him how pretty much the same it is to look at freakin webpages and email through it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

@aldan
    Hi bud, no more need be said, I'll be nice:)

P.S. I know I’ll probably catch hell for this, but I’m going to say it anyway. If you don’t want to get malware, don’t use Windows, or learn how to protect it. Linux is a fantastic alternative to Windows, and is 100% malware free. Ubuntu Linux is a great place to start, if you have never used Linux before. Look through all the Malware removal sites,
    Have you ever seen anyone running Linux asking for help???

6. aldan

aldan Active member

my bad.

7. ddp

i know you naughty boy.

8. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

ddp, I'm having problem receiving e-mail notifies from AD. pls PM me to see if I can receive one...

9. ddp

sent.

10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Tnx - got both.

11. ddp

no problem. you could have sent yourself 1 instead of me doing it.

12. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I did send me a few and got all. I got the 2 from you and then never received the one for this last one.... still scratching my head over this erratic crap.

13. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Well, I found my lost e-mails. Yahoo was randomly sticking some of them in the spam box. I could get a little irate over that but, since it's a free account - probably should try to be decent about it... [​IMG]

14. aldan

aldan Active member

and now,thanks to ddp,you know if you ever get lonely you can send yourself an email.LMAO

15. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

That happens to be the only ones that make any sense. :)

16. aldan

aldan Active member

how very true.

17. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

seems to be working ok now. hope it lasts.

18. dp70

dp70 Member

Using Norton is the best way to slow a machine to a craw.
    Check to see they brought the right baby from the hospital.
    Sadly, you can lead a horse to water. Just cut him loose, then when the machine fails- suggest he go to a "repair shop". When he has to pay for his folly, your advice may finally sink-in.

19. aldan

aldan Active member

had this happen with a friend.he bought norton on a "deal" for two computers.i told him that it would slow his old machines to a crawl,but that fell on deaf ears.three weeks later i was uninstalling norton and putting back the free stuff.to the origional poster,dont be scared off.we are really not disgruntled,only gruntled.lol

20. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

I found norton actually blocks a lot of legit sites and doesn't stop the bad ones,also found it uses lot of resources and slows the computer.

I also know people that swear by windows defender paid version as its got real time scanner, i personally use free programs for security on my system and seem to work fine.

as for facebook it does damage your computer all the sites are using bit.ly to link other sites and half of them that people click on install malware,most then links redirect your page to something dodgey.Also should be noted on facebook apps asking for permission ,they dont need full access and permission to post from your fb page.