1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(A Klingon) BladeEnc, Fhg, AudioGrabber, etc.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by cd-rw.org, Mar 20, 2002.

1. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

(smiling profusely.....)

YOU are a tremendously good sport, Lasse. If you were here right now, I'd shake your hand !!!

Winamp's internal equalization is wrong? (We've all been using incorrect equalization all these years?) - You may be right. Please hang on until I can look at this.

I'm taking awful chances here; Winners-98 could lock up and freeze @ any moment - I'm running two concurrent copies of TMPEGEnc in the background - they've been "at it" for hours now and I would hate to lose two compression sessions as they near the 87% mark; I'm online and typing-in board messages; I just downloaded 'superequ-0.03.zip; will now WinUnzip & install it, which means I'll also be running Winamp on top of all *that*, so stay tuned, my friend.... :)

-- K.A. --

2. A_Klingon

OK..... briefly......

Just installed the equalizer, Lasse.

Haven't toyed with it, but it's in there. It sprang up when I requested it, but I don't honestly think I'll be requiring its services. I can live with Winamp as-is (have for years); if the internal, native equalization is incorrect, I'm not complaining.

-- Mike --

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Come to Finland Klingon and by me a beer instead ;)

BTW, I do not mean to disrespect OGG. It is a very promising format in every way. I introduced Musepack to you since you seem to be after excellent quality. OGG is certainly not bad (likely better than best MP3), even though Muse outperforms it.

The flaws of the WinAmp built in EQ are a known fact. Unfortunately I don't have the technical details about it. You can find posts at Hydrogen Audio to backup my statement. *IF* I remember correctly it at least cuts high frequencies.(ff123 - could you fill me/us here?)

But as an old school audiophile I have to ask you this - what do you need the equalizing for anyway?

4. A_Klingon

Sure, I'd be delighted to buy you a beer Lasse, but I'm afraid we'd need 20 or more before any of the lossy systems we've been discussing here would begin sounding anywhere near true audiophile status. (I too am an old school analogue kinda guy, Shure V-15 Type IV hyper-elliptical stylus, Denon DP-790 direct drive manual turntable, Pioneer 185-watt-per-side integrated, Pro-Linear Stage 300-X speakers....... bla-bla-bla). Can you imagine feeding in an mp3 which has already stripped, perhaps, 90% of the information from the original cd track, into a pure class A tubed amplifier feeding, say, a tri-amped set of Electrostatic speakers coupled with a self-powered sub-woofer system, all connected by, say, military-grade, heavy gold-plated, oxygen-free copper interconnects?

Sounds like overkill. I believe that *any* of these compression systems, right now, as enjoyable as they may be, are at the 'ear-candy' stage right now.

And I would make sure that Jari had lots of bubbly-beer too. (Should we invite Petteri? Oh what the heck, why not? We'd have to go pick him up at the Island, tho. While there, we could sail out and visit this 'SeaLand' Principality).

It might be a tad tricky & expensive for me to get over there tho - do you suppose I could use Microsoft's Hotmail to email myself over into your mailbox as a file-attachment or something? I think M$ has a limit, though, on file-attachment sizes, and I confess, my head is rather large. (maybe I could compress it with ogg vorbis - it might not be as large as my original head, but we'd be pretty drunk anyways, and you'd probably recognize me).

Or alternatively, if I had a USS-Enterprise-like transporter pad, I could just "beam" some beers over to all you guys as my way of saying 'thanks' for all the intelligent input.

But I digress........

There is so much I like about ogg, and it's proving it's staying power it seems. Says the initial developer/inventor, Chris Montgomery, "Ogg Vorbis will never go away. The code is there, the format is there and nothing will ever undo that.....right now, there are enough individuals who both want to see it improve and have, themselves, the skills to improve it....." (from an old article @ http://membrane.com/ogg_vorbis.html )

Now, having said that..this weekend I intend to sit down and drink, (oh, let's say) f-i-f-t-y t-h-r-e-e beers, then *really* put ogg vorbis to the listening test!!!! :)

(Eat your heart out, WMA.)

-- A-Klingon --

5. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

=D

Are you quite sure that you already didn't take a few drinks before you typed that?