1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A NEWBIES GUIDE TO MX ANDROID

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by piopat, Feb 12, 2015.

1. piopat

piopat Active member

here are some recommended addons .

WORLD NEWS LIVE

this addon is what it says on the tin , its lots of live world news channels and all in one place . the odd channel is geo locked such as abc australia but a vpn should get around that .

news channels available are

sky news

nasa tv (there are a few nasa channels available even hd , with great pictures and videos from space)

reuters (reuters supplies the live news to many channels so for live breaking news and non stop coverage this is the channel to watch)

aljazera news (this channel even shows news that is blocked in my country )

euronews

cnn

cspan usa

bbc news

world news live is available for install via super repo .

FTV

ftv is an addon very similar to filmon addon , in fact its mostly a copy of filmon . now people are asking WELL IF ITS A COPY OF FILMON WHY WOULD I WANT THIS ADDON ? . well because its got stuff that filmon doeesnt have .

for example install FTV and open it and you will see NON GEO there are some great additional channels in there . in cartoons and more there are some real gems for the kids such as disney junior , top cartoons . its got top movies , open that up and you will find plenty of great movies such as 12 years a slave / 21 and 22 jump street / 300/ air force one / all is lost and lots more .

if you open disney you will find lots of classic disney cartoons and movies , 101 dalmations / 20000 leagues under the sea / a bugs life / aladin / the aristcats / bambi / bolt and lots more besides .

add to that all your favourite uk channels and a few extras like quest , pick tv / yesterday etc well this app has something for all the family . so pop ftv into your box and try it , and remember all this is free .

this addon is available for install via kinkins repo which you can install from fusion which i posted a url for in my last post .

MXRTE PLAYER

this is a great xbmc app from the mx repo . it gives you rte1/rte2/rte news / rte junior .

mxrte player can be installed via the mxrepo (see my last post )

MOBDRO

mobdro is an android addon not a xbmc addon , so once installed it will be listed with all your other android addons .

mobdro lets you watch not only world tv , but great us channels / uk channels / and even rte 1/ rte2 /tv3 /tg4 plus lots of great sports channels .

you can download the mobdro .apk file from the following link
    Code:
    http://www.mobdro.com
    and i posted instructions for installing android addons earlier in this thread .

MK SPORTS

i installed mx sports via the super repo repository .

i didnt test every channel but with the channels i tested on the whole i was very pleased and the picture quality very good all tho not stunning hd , but you must remember that this is free .

what channels do you get ? . well here is a list of channels and those i tested .

at the races (working , quality good )
    boxnation (working , quality good )
    bt sports (working , quality good)
    setanta sports (working , quality good)
    sky sports channels (working , quality good )
    racing uk (working , quality good)
    sportsnet (working , quality good )
    star sports 4 (working , quality good ) there is only one star sports channel listed
    nova spors (working , quality good)
    man u tv (working , quality good)

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE LIST OF CHANNELS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME , AND ALL CHANNELS MAY NOT OPEN .

EROTIK

the title should say it all guys lol . this addon lets you view xxx videos from collections by
    brazzers , bangbros, playboy etc .

you can add this addon to your collection by installing the metalkettle repo to your mx android . you can get the mettlekettle repo url from my previous post.

XMOVIES 8

this is not an adult app guys even tho it may sound it lol , its an app for great movies in high quality and full hd . i didnt test any full hd movies as my broadband speeds of 3 to 4 mb are not quick enough for full hd . but i did try a few regular movies like taken 3 and big hero 6 and the quality was excellent , so its well worth making this an addition to your addon collection .

what i find is that some movie apps may not or dont contain certain movies , for example i love movie25 its my favourite movie app but if i wanted to view a classic movie say 12 angry men with henry fonda well i find that icefilms or 1channel are better options for such movies . so if i want a new cinema release my first port of call is usually movie25 , for classic movies (and movies of all types new and recent ) i go to icefilms or 1channel , and its nice to have some good hd sources also such as xmovies 8 . my point being its good to have a good selection of quality movie options to choose from , also it helps to have alternatives if your favourite movie option goes down for a bit as is the case with movies25 right now .

this addon can be downloaded from the metalkettle repo (see my previous post )

DREAMCATCHER

many addons dont give you a download option or they may and it doesnt work for whatever reason . well dreamcatcher when installed lets you download content from just about any addon you have installed .

very simply when i have an addon opened , lets say youtube , i go to a video and highlight it , then i press the blue menu button on my remote and several options appear ONE OF THEM IS DOWNLOAD . its then as simple as selecting download .

YOU WILL NEED A USB STICK / SD CARD / OR SUITABLE HDD

you will have to edit the addon settings to tell it where it can find your usb stick , but that is simplicity its self . i would also advise that you first play a video before you download it to ensure it is actually playing , if it plays stop the video and then download as i explained above.

PLEASE NOTE IF YOUR DOWNLOAD SPEED IS VERY POOR THE DOWNLOAD MAY TAKE SOME TIME , THE FASTER YOUR SPEEDS THE FASTER YOUR DOWNLOAD WILL BE.

by the way while you are downloading you can view other stuff .

this addon is available for download via the highwaymans repo , which you can install if you install fusion (see my previous post ) .

ok so thats just a few select addons to choose from , there are many many more .

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. piopat

piopat Active member

HOW TO CLEAR YOUR CACHE

basicly and very simply the apps you use store various data , and its stored in whats called a cache . your android device only has a certain amount of storage space , certain bits of data are stored in different parts of your box , its the same with a laptop .

if the cache is full or getting full well your box may become sluggish or you may find you have buffering issues . so ideally you would not let your cache get to full , so you should clear it regularly to keep it to a minimal . as an example on a laptop lots of useless data and logs or cookies are constantly stored , after a while the laptop starts to become sluggish and run slow and basicly not perform as it should , well in that case we would spring clean our laptop and get rid of all that unwanted / unneeded stuff and have our laptop running smooth again . clearing the cache on your android is sort of similar .

PLEASE NOTE SOME OF THESE SETTINGS ARE ADVANCED SETTINGS SO MY ADVICE IS TO NEVER MESS WITH ANY SETTINGS IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THEY DO , IF YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT CERTAIN SETTINGS ALWAYS ENSURE TO READ TUTORIALS OR GET ADVICE FROM SOMEONE EXPERIENCED BEFORE YOU CHANGE OR ALTER ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS .

for this tutorial you need to have xbmc maintenance tool installed . if your box is fully loaded then chances are its already installed but if not its in the xbmc repository (which should b eon your android by default) , now i wont go into how to install an app as thats covered earlier in this tutorial so for this i will assume you have the app installed . so in the main xbmc menu open programs , now maintenance tool may be listed right there but if not select and open program addons , then open maintenance tool from there . now go to and then use the ok button to select CLEAR CACHE , clearing the cache only takes a few seconds , thats it your done your entire cache is now cleared , you can now exit those menus .

you can also clear the cache of individual apps , heres how .

so to clear your cache in your android go to your android apps , and select SETTINGS MBOX , this app has a sort of cog on it so you cant miss it .

once the app is open you should see NETWORK /DISPLAY/ ADVANCED / OTHER , use the right button to go to OTHER . now if you look below other you will see SYSTEM UPDATE / MORE SETTINGS , use the down button to go to MORE SETTINGS ,then press ok button to open it .

now you will see various options on the left of screen such as WIFI/ BLUETOOTH/ETHERNET etc etc , use your down button and go down to APPS ,with apps highlighted press ok button .

now a list of your addroid apps is displayed on the right side of the screen . press the right button and now you should see an app on the right side of the screen highlighted . now use your down button to go to xbmc and then press ok button .

now this short tutorial is only to clear the cache SO AS ABOVE PLEASE DONT ALTER ANY OTHER SETTINGS IN THIS MENU UNLESS YOU ARE CERTAIN AND CLEAR ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING .

ok with APPS highlighted press the right button on your remote control . now one of the options on the right side of screen should be highlighted , use your up/down buttons to go to CLEAR CACHE , just above where it says clear cache you should see a number , for example 45.00kb . that tells you how much data is stored , ideally from all the information i have seen 12.00kb is what the figure should say .

so with clear cache highlighted press ok button , after a second or two your cache is now cleared , and if you look at the figure just above where it says clear cache it should now be back on 12.00kb . thats it , your cache is now cleared , this may fill quite quickly depending on how much you use your android , so repeat the above steps regularly to clear your cache .

USING MAINTENANCE TOOL IS PROBABLY THE EASIEST / QUICKEST AND NEWBIE FRIENDLY WAY TO CLEAR THE CACHE .

3. piopat

piopat Active member

HOW TO ADD SHORTCUTS TO XBMC

ok so you have 20 or 30 great video addons in the video section , some you dont really use much , some you use some times , and few you use a great deal . if you dont like having to search through many addons to find one well you can create some short cuts to your 5 favourite addons , what this does is that when you open xbmc and scroll along to video that below video will appear 5 picture icons (or thumbnails ) then you simply select the icon for the addon you want to open .

so lets say you have 30 addons but you want short cuts to icefilms / 1channel / youtube / movie25 / ilive well thats quite easy to do , but you only have 5 addon short cuts allowed , so choose your 5 favourites and for the other other addons you will have to go into all addons to select them . you can also create 5 shortcuts for music addons and the other sections like pictures etc . so if for example you created a short cut for mash up when you scrolled to VIDEOS this is what you would see below videos

[​IMG]

the above picture only displays one shortcut which is mash up but you can add up to 5 short cuts .

its quite simple and anyone can do it , so here goes . open xbmc and press the right button and scroll to SYSTEM (when i say scroll that simply means to go to ) , then use your down and left/ right buttons to go to and highlight SETTINGS , then select SETTINGS by pressing the ok button .

the first option you should see on screen is APPEARANCE , and it should be already highlighted , if so just press the ok button , if not use the up/down button to scroll to and highlight APPEARANCE and then press ok button . now in this menu the first option you should see is SKIN and as above it should be highlighted , but as above if not use the up/down buttons to scroll to it , once you have SKINS highlighted press the right button . you should now have highlighted the first line to the right of where it said SKIN , my first line says skin and to the right of that it says confluence , confluence is the name of the skin im using . the skin is basicly the look and layout of your onscreen menus , you can change and use different skins for different looks and layouts , but thats for another tutorial .

now press your down button and highlight the second line which is SETTINGS here is a picture of what you should see

[​IMG]

ok with SETTINGS highlighted press the ok button . now you will be in the skin settings addon menu . use your up/down buttons to scroll to ADDON SHORT CUTS , and when you have addon short cut highlighted press the ok button .now you should have the first line on the right highlighted which is lyrics addon . heres a picture

[​IMG]

use your up/down buttons to scroll to HOME PAGE VIDEOS SUB MENU , now you wont land on that line as thats just a sort of header or title , you will land on the line ADD ON 1 . when you have add on 1 highlighted press the ok button , now you should see a list of all your video addons , use your up/down buttons to go to the first addon you want to select as your favourite , when you have the addon highlighted press the ok button .

now you will be back on the SKIN SETTINGS ADD ON MENU , and you will still be on the line ADD ON 1 , but if you look now to the right the name of the addon you selected should be there , if so your done . now go to the next line ADD ON 2 and repeat the above instructions , and do the same for all 5 lines . dont worry if you selected addons and you want to change them its easy , for example if you want to change add on 1 simply scroll to that line and highlight it and press ok button , then use your up / down buttons to go to the addon you prefer and then press ok button , you can do this any time and you can change 1 or all of your 4 favourite addons any time .

if you wish you can now scroll down to HOME PAGE MUSIC SUB MENU , and to ADD ON 1 and you can select your 5 favourite music addons , you do it exactly as i outlined above , when your done simply exit from all those menus back to the main xbmc page , then use your left/right buttons to scroll to VIDEOS , you should now see below VIDEOS 5 picture icons / thimbnails , these are your shortcuts to your favourite addons , simply use your up/down and left /right buttons to scroll to the addon you want to open and then press ok button to open it . thats it job jone , remember as i said above you can change your 5 favourites at any time .

4. piopat

piopat Active member

ok so now lets assume you have installed a good selection of xbmc addons and you have your settings the way you like them , well now its a good idea to backup all this stuff . the reason for this is well what if your box developed a glitch and you had to factory reset to fix that glitch ? well then you would have to start all over again . by making a backup if you should have to do a factory reset well then within a few minutes you can restore your box to how it was before it got the glitch complete with all your addons and settings etc .

also if say your mate got an mx android but was struggling to set it up , you could pop your backup file into his box and his box would be up and running in just a few minutes .

for this tutorial you will need an sd card of atleast 4gb in size or a usb memory stick (i t. it should be formatted to fat32 , usually they are formatted to fat32 as new so you shouldnt really need to do this . but if you are not sure just pop the new sd card into the sd slot on your laptop ( i think a usb stick is better for the purpose of keeping backups) after a few seconds your laptop should recognise it .

now click on the windows icon in the bottom left corner of screen (if your using windows xp it will say start ) , now from the pop up box click on COMPUTER to open it . you should see the sd card listed onscreen , it may say REMOVABLE STORAGE E: or similar or it may say the name of the name of the sd card . what ever it says click on it one time to highlight it , and then a pop up box will appear with various options , select FORMAT .make sure FILE SYSTEM says fat32 (it should by default ) if it does you dont need to change anything here . next tick the box for QUICK FORMAT , and then click on START . after a few seconds your sd card will be formatted . all you have to do now is safely remove the sd card from your laptop and insert it into the sd slot on your mx android .

now you need to install a program on your android called USB - SDCARD -WIZARD (for the moment for this part of the tutorial i will assume you have the xfinity repo installed on your box (see my earlier post regarding repos ) . from the main xbmc window use your left / right button to go to PROGRAMS , and then press the ok button . any installed program addons will be displayed , use your up/ down and left / right buttons to go to GET ADDONS , and then press the ok button , then use your up/down buttons to go to GET ADD ONS . use your up/down buttons to go to USB-SDCARD- WIZARD and highlight it and then press the ok button . it will enable in a few seconds , and when its complete you can exit back to the programs menu .

now go to the USB-SDCARD-WIZARD addon and highlight it (DONT OPEN IT ) .next press the menu button (blue button on your remote ) a few options will appear in a pop up box , use your down button to highlight ADD ON SETTINGS , and then press the ok button .

now you will see CHOOSE USB/SDCARD DESTINATION , this means you need to tell the mx android where it can find your sd card or usb memory stick , so it can save data etc to it . so use your down button to highlight CHOOSE USB/SDCARD DESTINATION and then press the ok button , now a menu will appear with some options , use your down button to go to EXTERNAL_STORAGE (for sd card ) and highlight that , now use your right button to highlight OK and then press the ok button , that saves your work , for a usb stick select sda1 as that is the name the adroid gives your usb stick . now your sd card / usb memory stick is set you can exit back to the PROGRAMS menu .

now go to the USB-SDCARD -WIZARD addon and highlight it and then press the ok button to open it . you will see two options

BACKUP
    RESTORE

select backup (multiple options will appear ) , for a full backup select FULL BACKUP (there are other options in there as i say so you may only want to backup say addons but not settings etc , so in that case choose the option that suits you ) and your backup should start , it takes a few minutes to complete (depending on how many addons etc you have installed ) so be patient , if you keep adding addons or changing setup or system settings you should take a backup at regular intervals to ensure you have saved and always have a complete up to date backup . once the backup has completed you will then have a full xbmc back up on your sd card / usb stick , you can if you wish SAFELY REMOVE the sd card / usb stick from the box and insert it into your laptop and send a copy of the backup into your laptop , that way you have 2 copies .

now you will have noticed the RESTORE option , well this is the opposite of backup , restore allows you to send your backup into your mx android (or indeed any other mx android ) . what i mean is that if for some reason you removed all your addons and settings (maybe you want to mess around with xbmc and try other stuff ) or maybe something went wrong and you decided to reset your mx android to factory settings to fix a problem . well then you could follow the instructions above but instead of selecting backup you select RESTORE and that will send all your addons and settings back into xbmc in a matter of minutes . or as i say you could add all your xbmc addons and settings to another mx android . thats it guys .

5. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

hi piopat thanks for the info , to give you a bit more insight in to the problem im having with hd the movie i was try to watch is in navix/most viewed 24 hours/ mazzas latest releases the film i was trying to watch dying of the light
    as i said it played away for 20 min s or so then the picture freezes and sound continues, bye the ways guys this guy mazzas has excellent films great quality so check him out ,i also tried one hd film in icefilms the same problem , i now think the problem is not the enternet speed but the version i have on the box i tried aaalive on the daughters ipad and got it going no problem and also tried two films in hd aswell using the source as above and they ran ok , the version i have on the mx box is gotham 13.o and the ipad is 13.2 ,so asking is it possable to update the box, and if so can u give some details on how to do this not much good with the tech side of things .......
    ps had a look around aaalive on her ipad and you got it bang on, good streams for sports , so i you can help me to get aaalive on mx box would be mighty grateful , thanks in advance ...
    paulie57 ........

6. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

delete xmbc off your box, on your boxes browser in google type in kodi download, it will bring you here http://kodi.tv/download/ go to
    Stable Release: Kodi 14.1 “Helix”
    click on the android arm tab, let it download and install, then you wont have xbmc anymore you will have kodi so click on the kodi app (kodi is ex xbmc). you will have to start afresh again, fusion is now http://fusion.tvaddons.ag,
    hope this helps

7. piopat

piopat Active member

hi paulie the version i have is gotham 13.o also . you could if you want uninstall your current version (but take a backup first just to cover yourself ) and then install the newer 13.2 or whatever the latest versions is , it may make a difference . but i cant promise that will be the case .

i explained how to make a backup earlier in this thread so you should do that . then go to xbmc.org/downloads and download the latest android version to your usb stick. then insert the stick into your box .

now installing the addon is the same as installing any android addon , i posted instructions on how to do that earlier . but before you install uninstall the current version .

to uninstall the current version go your main android app screen , you should see an app that says SETTINGS MBOX , open that . alternatively press the SETUP button on your remote , its near the left top corner on my remote .

now you will see options NETWORK / DISPLAY/ ADVANCED / OTHER , use your right button and go to other , now use your down button and go to MORE SETTINGS .and press ok button to open it .

now use your downbutton to go down to APPS and press ok button . on the right of screen all your apps should appear .now press the right button and then press the down button and go to and highlight xbmc . now press ok button .

now move your left/right or up/down buttons untill you have UNINSTALL highlighted in blue , and press ok to uninstall . when uninstall is complete install the new version .

let us know if changing xbmc versions worked .

8. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

this is for the "the version i have on the mx box is gotham 13.o and the ipad is 13.2 ,so asking is it possable to update the box, and if so can u give some details on how to do this not much good with the tech side of things ......." question

9. piopat

piopat Active member

thanks for posting tongs mate .

paulie you should be aware also that certain addons may perform differently or not at all on different versions of xbmc .

10. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

I've updated to helix as was having problems watching films on genesis, the frame rate was pants but audio spot on, updated and all good, also some nice tv furniture when 1st ran the fusion config wizard, i dont back mine up as i know what I like and have the proxies BUT NEWBIES SHOULD AS A FIVE MIN JOB FOR ME COULD BE HOURS FOR YOU. think its always nice to have the latest stable builds as thats what devs will be working on

11. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

Also may add i Dont have the mx box but it is an android box dual core, happy valentines day you filthy animals :p

12. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Cheers guys for the tech info will give it a bash all seems fairly straightforward but trust me lads when I go try something new there always problems ,so more than likely I be back to you all again, will follow the instructions and hope for the best ,Thanks again guys , keep the rest of us newbies hanging in their
    Cheers ....
    paulie57

13. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Piopat forgot to add I reinstalled aalive again on the mx box and got it running , but when I went in to sports and tried the full list of channels I kept getting box opening with ( one or more items failed to play check the log file for details. ) so I'm guessing there must be some issue with the box ,I tried it on the iPad and got sly sports plus others running ok ?
    Paulie57 ....

14. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

you must remeber this isnt live TV, if you want live tv buy a sat or cable box, sometimes you can get on streams someimes you cant, there maybe a 1 second window to get to that stream, will let you in 1 sec and you gotta wait to get in again if you go out searching for others,

15. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

hi guys i did the change over from old xbmc now running kodi 14.0 helix. piopat followed your tut step by step and i worked perfectly i have reistalled some of the repos ,superrepos etc . also installed aaalive and working great, i have yet to try a film in hd and will let you know how it goes, so many new repos and programes to get thru but great ,also its running a lot faster , pages are turning over faster even the keys on the remote are quicker when changing , also did a backup first just in case as you posted ,so what im saying is it was well worth the time spent changing and for any anyone who wants try , have to follow piopats tut its excellent, so thanks again piopat and tongs for your time and patience , will post as i try things out hd movies etc. tongs i have a combi fta/searview witch i watch for main tv and i use the mx box for the odd footie game on sly sports/ bt and some movies , i can also get some channels that are not on fta , but i miss sly 1 for league of their own to my grief , but other than that guys alls good so far will keep posting on any new things i come across
    many thanks guys for your help piopat/tongs way a head of the rest of us and keep up the good work cheers .
    paulie57 .........

16. piopat

piopat Active member

well mate thats what these sort of threads are for , to help and guide people , if my thread /tut helps even one person its done its job lol . if you get stuck post and if i cant help maybe tongs or someone else can .

17. piopat

piopat Active member

ONE OR MORE ITEMS FAILED TO PLAY usually means the links to these channels down . the links to channels are updated all the time , if you look at all the lists you will see they have a date when they were last updated , so obviously the lists with the most recent dates will give the best results especially for live tv channels .

18. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

hi guys, piopat i spent a bit of time on the mx box today, the problem i had with the hd film i tried to watch yesterday
    on the old version of xbmc that froze after 20 min, i put the same film on today with new version kodi 14.o helix worked perfectly and picture quality excellent . so thanks again to yourself and tongs for the tech info , loads of new repos to try and i will post any good ones i find asap , well worth upgrading for any one having issues with older versions and the the tuts you posted is top notch.
    cheers ......
    paulie57 ............

19. piopat

piopat Active member

TVMC

tvmc is basicly xbmc but with a difference , tvmc comes with a good selection of addons pre installed . but also it comes with many of the best repos pre installed also .

tvmc is an android app just as xmbc is , remember they are essentially the same . and so you can install tvmc exactly the same as you install any android app .

because the app is called tvmc and not xbmc it means you can have tvmc installed along side your current version of xbmc in your android apps menu .

this means for example that you could set up your current xbmc as you like it and leave it be . and then install tvmc and use that say for testing persons . also tvmc is a newer version (of xbmc ) so my current version of xbmc is gotham 13.0 but the version of tvmc i installed is gotham 13,3 .

so this means i can test addons in both versions ,an addon may play fine in one version but not in another , so its good to be able to test these things .

and as tvmc comes all the best repos installed it means you can go and install a wealth of addons and without the trouble of having to install the repos .

it comes with about 25 video addons installed like 1channel / icefilms / genesis / phoenix / youtube

and about 6 music addons , including world radio . you can listen to all irish radio stations . so thats 31 addons and its got 14 repos . that may be enough for some people .

it doesnt have super repo on it or fusion , install those and you have a choice of many hundreds of addons .

you can download tvmc from the following link

Code:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4cLH5lrasEfc1hlbmVPY2dCMmM/view

20. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Cheers piopat will give that a bash as well , you're well Ahead of the posse , keeping the rest of in the light
    Paulie57 ...