1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A NEWBIES GUIDE TO SETTING UP A DM500S FOR CARDSHARING

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by piopat, Apr 15, 2010.

1. kastiell

kastiell Guest

Heres a real noob query but i feel its a must ask, do you need a router for dreambox cs or will bridge connection option work, i use this option for other things that they say you need a router for so do you know?

Also whats your advise on this one, my dreambox500s clone came with a gemini image installed is there a reason i should not trust them at dealextreme ans if i leave this image on should the above work out the same? ps very informtive piopat and i appreciate

2. NightsJOD

NightsJOD Member

Hi all,

Just so everyone knows, you don't necessarily need to flash the box with a 232 serial cable. If you have connected your DB to the router, you will be able to see it on your network and even flash it wirelessly!

* Go to an internet browser on your PC/Laptop and go to the address: 192.168.2.1 (Note, the address may differ depending on your router - could be 192.168.0.1 or maybe 192.168.1.1).

* Once there, you should see some sort of router option which shows you a DHCP client list. In that list you will see all of your devices such as PC's, Laptops, Xboxes etc... You should also see your Dreambox too along with an IP address (Mine was 192.168.2.3). Make a note of your DB's IP address.

* With your DB plugged into the power, press and hold the power button. While pressed, unplug the box from the mains for about 20 seconds keeping the power button pressed.

* Reconnect the power to the box, continue to hold the power button for another ten seconds and then release the power button. Do not turn it on yet (if it auto switches on, just put it into standby).

* Go to your internet browser and go to the IP address of your DB that you noted earlier. You should see the default setup screen for the dreambox. On this page, there will be an option to flash the DB with an image via FTP. Click it and follow the prompt for your downloaded DB image.

The image will install itself onto the DB (ironically much quicker than through a serial cable). This even works from a wireless laptop which will be quite handy for those who don't really want to buy a serial to USB cable for one use only.

Hope this helps,
    NiGHTSJOD

PS: Does anyone know of a dirt cheap but reliable wireless bridge? Dont have the beans for homeplugs at the moment.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4. phil43

phil43 Regular member

Just noticed this thread.Many thanks to piopat and all who have
    contributed to this thread,very informative,thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  5. piopat

piopat Active member

ddp i allready changed my signature so that it only has 5 lines of text , 5 links (each with a very brief description at the end )i thought that was what the rules allowed ,and i have read them .am i not allowed a signature now .

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you had 2 empty lines giving you 7 lines whereas rules state 5 lines. fix it.

7. ackieuk

ackieuk Member

hi all , newbie here , could any 1 tell me how i would go about finding a card sharing scheme or could i join yours piopat .

8. e45

e45 Regular member

look or search on google thats where it all starts google eurocardshare

9. ackieuk

ackieuk Member

tyvm i shall try that now , thanks again

10. piopat

piopat Active member

its a bit difficult to( fix it) as you said when you have deleted the entire thing. i did not see that i had empty lines, but as i had clearly already made the effort to edit my signature area i would have thought you would have given me the chance to do so again. people will be looking for the links i mentioned in the above tutorial and will not be able to find them now ,indeed i have had pms mentioning this to me.

11. e45

e45 Regular member

piopat do you links the same way as mickhab has his done that way you will get them all in :)

12. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

ddp, do you accept the work that piopat and i have put together as a possible stickie. if you are unhappy with information supplied can you please identify so we can can correct

13. e45

e45 Regular member

Did i miss something here where is your input on this was the post removed as the only input i can see on this thread is from Piopat ??

14. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

read the start of all this input e45, where it originated from and why, the other associated posts then revise your comments

15. e45

e45 Regular member

i see 3 or maybe 4 posts from you but no information pertaining to what piopat was writing about only your self asking whether or not it could be stickied maybe i am missing something on this thread that i did not find ?? if i did appoligies

16. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

to the moderators, do we get a chance to tie all dreambox threads into a stickie or is the information considered inappropriate?

17. piopat

piopat Active member

just to make things clear ,fintann did ask the mods if certain threads could be made in to stickies or tuts and if he was to create such a thread if it was possible to make it a stickie if i am correct (if the rules allowed ,and the mods said it would depend on the content or words to the effect), and he has also posted his own very usefull threads detailing the different dreamboxes and their specs on the strenght of that . of course the mods or in charge and have full say and the rules are the rules ,and we all have to abide by these rules without exception. on the basis of fintanns discussion with the mods and his tuts on the various dreambox specs i said i would be willing to provide a tut (if the mods and rules allowed ) fintann has provided many people my self included with a wealth of information as of course have you e45 and my respect to you as always .but my tut does tie in with fintans tuts on the dreambox ,of course if the mods deem it unsuitable of course then that is the rules and we must abide by those rules .

18. e45

e45 Regular member

Appoligies fintann maybe i was just looking at these posts here

19. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

no worries e45. i am by no means innocent in some comments i have made in the past. so no big deal. its all about supplying forum members with good quality information which many users, yourself included, have done previously and continue to do

20. wozza65

wozza65 Member

hi, to forum. many thanx for this tutorial. Just got my 500s so I will have a play today

Last edited: May 24, 2010