1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a question for everyone

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kobie62, Feb 20, 2005.

1. kobie62

kobie62 Member

i have burnt a few movies converting them from avi format mostly. i was wondering if you guys had a peticular favorite format to work with that you found is quicker than another. just curious....

2. Willmatic

Willmatic Guest

I've converted a couple of avi files to dvd using nero and although it takes alot of time, I can't complain about the results. I usually run the program at night before I go to sleep and it'll be done by the time I get up.

3. eric545

eric545 Regular member

kobie62

You say that you are converting from AVI. What is the source of your movie? Are you trying to backup commerical DVD's that you own? Or you have created the AVI file and wish to burn it to DVD?

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

@eric545

I've yet to see a commercial dvd done in avi.

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

depends what you got? where you want to get to etc?

if dvd films? i like my format as vob/bup/ifo not a prob then...

6. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

When it works, DVDSanta is pretty fast handling avis. No conversion is needed.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Here is a little free proggy taht works as good as any at converting its called DivX to DVD it will convert just about any AVI to DVD format DivX To DVD http://dw.com.com/redir?pid=1035999...5.exe?lop=link&ptype=3002&ontid=7970&siteId=4

Is that so?? No conversion you say.. Well I would beg to differ to be able to play the file as a standard DVD it would have to convert the files, but I could be wrong here someone let me know. If you happen to have a newer DVD player that will play all the different formats out there than you can get by with no conversion, but to my understanding to play in standard DVD player you need at least .VOB & .IFO files in a folder named VIDEO_TS. The only way to get those is by converting them with a DVD conversion proggy. I may be wrong as I have only used DVD Santa a couple of times and never for AVI to DVD converting, but I find that statement hard to belive.

8. kobie62

kobie62 Member

well it was really just a question people,kind of a poll to see what other kinds of formats people find quicker to convert. i have my own preferences, just wanted to see what others were doing, share a few ideas, but it seems to have caused more questions than answers lol

guess it's better to stay in the back-ground and just watch than try to see what others think about different ways of doing things..on this forum anyways.

i myself, use cucusoft avi/mpeg to dvd/vcd/svcd/mpeg converter pro 5.0 version.
    i first choose to put it into the dvd format.
    usually takes between 5 to 7 hours.
    i then use ifoedit to covert those files into vob,bup,ifo files.
    this usually takes 5 to 10 minutes.
    to burn it i shut down everything on my comp that i can then with nero i burn them onto a re-writable at lowest speed
    usually takes about 12 to 15 minutes
    check it on the home player for sync and glitches and burn it to a reg. dvd- type.
    this works great for me, no crappy burns except for the few coasters i have from testing different ways of doing things at the beginning.
    (they turned into christmas tree decorations after being painted lol)
    anyways...thnxs to all who replied have fun trying different things and use re-writables
    doesn't hurt to do things different
    i found what works for one may not be the best for another just try to stay away from all-in-one programs.

9. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

What I meant was if you use DVDSanta, you don't have to convert the avis beforehand with another program. Nero can actually do this too, but my experience has been that DVDSanta can handle avis better (in terms of success rate) and faster than Nero.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Oh.. OK I can agree with that :)