1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a question from an idiot [dvd external/system requirements)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by veryape, Jan 28, 2005.

1. veryape

veryape Member

Hello,
    Today I purchased a BenQ 1620 external DVD recorder online, pure impulse buy, looked like a deal to me... anyway i forgot to read the system requirements, like a complete tard... i have a 5 year old HP Pavilion with a Intel Celeron 400Mhz chip, and this burner requires a pentium 3 550 or better. My questions are, will this burner work AT ALL on the computer i have the way it is now? if not, how easy would be installing a PIII chip and uninstalling the intel celeron? if u don't wanna take the time to respond you could just say yes,no, maybe and then rate the difficulty on a 1 to 10 scale.
    thank you very much

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  2. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Wow man; first off, up-grading what you have is, almost impossible.
    Used as an Email and writing machine your PC is more than adiquate, however as a 'burning' 'copying' modern-day PC with full photographic potential. It's five years and a couple of thousand days out of date.

Over the last five years prices' have dropped, and if you're thinking of expanding your PCs' potential, a new one may be needed.

regards gringle

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Veryape,
    Lets have all the specs of your PC if you know what they are?
    Hard Drive ____
    Memory Type _____ & How much _____
    Power supply watt _____ & ATX or AT ______
    Video Card _______
    I can tell you now to upgrade your processor you will have to get a new motherboard to support this as well. Probably new memory and a Power supply to at the least. Hard to say for sure unless we know what else you have, but it is probably not worth the hassle. You could just build a new one from the ground up and sell that one to someone who dosent know any better ;-)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  4. veryape

veryape Member

Ok. Well for me to tell you the specs of my piece of shit computer is quite the stretch. I honest don't know anything, really other than 63.0 RAM (laugh), a Celeron processor, and 19 Gigabyte HD. My biggest interest is whether it is at all possible to make DVD backups, from other DVDs or "pirated" DVDs downloaded off of the internet with this minimalistic, obsolete CPU in front of me. I may be stupid, but i didn't realize the process of burning a DVD involves a video card and a good processor, though obviously these things probably enhance the process. I don't care if burning a single DVD takes 48 hours. I simply want to know if it is possible to get this external DVD player to work, using USB 2.0.
    I'm moving to an apt. w/ at least two other CPU's so this may not be much of a problem, except i would be downloading everything to this computer. it would be great to get a new computer or "build" one from the ground up, a mindboggling idea for me to process. but i can barely feed myself and i am probably dumb spending money on a DVD burner. anyways, thanks again.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

you would be very hard pressed @ making quality back ups with those specs, but it may be possible if you indeed have USB 2.0 connections on that computer and not USB 1.0. It will probably be very painfull to get it to work and I would say you should have absolutly nothing else installed on that PC except for the proggys you need to do your back up's. Seeing how you already bought the drive you may as well give it a try who knows it could surprise us all :)