1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question from an old newbie

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Gran-Pa, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Gran-Pa

Gran-Pa Member

I don't knew if this is of any help, but I live in the UK. My question, is vob the only file type that stand alone DVDs understand? I've downloaded several movies in .avi and mpg, then encoded them into .vob only to find they won't fit on a DVD. I've also tried playing them in the format I downloaded them in. Beginning to think of taking my DVD writer out and throwing at a passing policeman, they might know how to do what I want inside, jk.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

dvd players also recognize Video CD or VCDs.
    you can make your mpg files into a vcd file that plays on your dvd player.

i use tmpgenc to make the mpg files compliant for a vcd and then create a vcd in nero by following the wizard (just choose other type, then vidco cd)

-for avi files, you might need to re-encode them into mpg files to make it easier.. not sure though..

hope that helps
    peace
    seamonkey420

3. Rodgers

Rodgers Guest

Another suggestion perhaps....I have used Nero exclusively for this type download conversions. I make a VCD/SVCD with Nero using the Wizard and then Burn with Nero direct to a blank cd-r disc. All of my movies play perfectly on my standalone Sony DVD. Windvd is also a good place to test the finsihed product on your computer.

Regards,
    Rodgers

4. Gran-Pa

Gran-Pa Member

Thank you both for your suggestions, but I've contacted Daewoo, who made my DVD player, and they've told me that my player will only play .vob files. What a pain in the ****. I've got Nero VisionExpress that turns .avi and .mpg into .vob files, but that doesn't help much when the file it outputs is too large to fit on to a DVD.