1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question of parallels experts.....

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by yerswtazn, Jan 18, 2007.

1. yerswtazn

yerswtazn Member

ok, so i've got parallels running a stripped down version of XP on my macbook, i only need to run windows for two programs, one of the programs i need to patch. i can patch the program (which is a background running program that is in the system tray) fine but after i reboot the virtual machine the patch no longer applies. my patch is a .reg file that changes my reg and lets the program run but it seems that the patch is "unpatched" after i reboot the virtual machine.

does parallels just reset all your regedits? is there a way i can manually hardcode the .reg into my XP?

the stripped down version of XP i run is completely virtual, its not installed in a partitioned space. anyone have any ideas?

2. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

im sorry to say you cannot use any reg patch in parallels because it wont work

ok you have a macbook right is it intel based if so why dont you just use bootcamp

its free

3. yerswtazn

yerswtazn Member

i do not want to run bootcamp because the program i want to run is quite small and will not really be running that often, on top of which i will be givng this machine to my parents (who are not so computer savvy) and when i teach them to run the program i do not want to teach them to boot into xp.

it'd be easier to have them launch parallels run the program and shut down the virtual machine.

to give you an idea of how non-savvy they are, they dont know that there is a difference between windows and osx.

on the same note, i do not want to give a partition to the mac's harddrive, yes the stripped down version of my xp is basically running off of an image so i'm not using an already partitioned drive.

thanx tabletpc for your post though.

4. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

so your giving your parents a computer with illegal software on it so if they get caught they get arrested and go to jail and you do not

wow you suck

5. yerswtazn

yerswtazn Member

for your information the software thats on there is mine; paid for in full (since my company pays 80% of what the cost is for me to buy it). the xp is also mine (from a computer that no longer runs at all), i just ripped XP into an image of the cd and stripped unessisary features so that i can run a couple of programs without all the extra crap that microsuck runs XP. everything is and always will be comletely legal.

if you donn know jackswuat about this stuff then dont answer the question instead of trying to make up for your ignorance in the subject and flamming.

i tried to be nice and thank you for posting a reply, but you just wanna be a little flamer then go ahead.