1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Question on ink

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by headcase, Dec 3, 2007.

1. headcase

headcase Regular member

I have an Epson RX580, that I use to do my labels with. Up until recently I bought my ink from Supermedia. But now they aren't carrying the Epson compatible anymore. Does anyone know of another place I can get it. I tried Rima once, but all the cartridges I got from them gave me trouble with my printer and I ended up having to go back to Supermedia. ANy help would be appreciated as Its coming up on time to buy more really soon.

2. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I've never had any problems with my replacement Epson compatable carts from Rima. Could it have just been a bad batch?

4. headcase

headcase Regular member

No, but upon further review I found out some interesting stuff. Apparently Epson sued and won against 11 different makers of generic ink for Epson printers. Also they have been changing firmware codes to make the ink cartridges incompatible. Supermedia isn't going to be carrying them anymore. ANd I suspect many others arent going to as well. Its a shame really. I like the Epson product but their ink is way over priced.

5. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

I've now got 2 epson 260 that I can't get ink for. The chipset on my 260 is like my 340. The continous ink supplies I found at the computer shows also had the wrong chipset.At one point it had a choice for a first or second generation 260.This hurts because I like the speed of the 260, but they sure do eat up the ink fast.But that explains why I haven't been able to get ink.I sent back a set to Supermedia and a set to Meritline.

6. headcase

headcase Regular member

Yeah I sent Meritline an email asking if it would work on my printer and included my production date. The response they sent me was kinda unintelligible. I wrote them back but am still awaiting a response. I sent Epson an email asking if they were planning to sell cheaper ink. All I know is if I have to spend more than $120 on ink. I'll just buy another printer. One thats not Epson. Is there another brand that does the direct label printing? Although I did read somewhere that some places are offering remanufactured Epson cartridges, with new chips that are supposed to work. Thats what Meritline had. I'll let you know what they tell me if anything.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  7. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Both Meritline and Supermedia said my production dates that at that point and time I was stuck with Epson cartridges. I'll be damned if I'll shell out 96.00 for ink. I just had them send me more ink for the 340 and 220.I'll hold onto the 260's another month and see what happens.Chris Edit I'd be curious on how theserial numbers read out for dates One is JKSK 206763 two is JKSK 065716. They both came from Epson.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  8. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Has anyone dealt with www.YourInkCenter.com
    ad is at the top of the page

9. headcase

headcase Regular member

Well I just sent them an email with my information. Once again, I'll let you know what they respond with. Hopefully they can help.

10. headcase

headcase Regular member

Ok Got this reply this morning from yourinkcenter.com

>Hi Kenneth Taylor,

Thanks for emailing us about it. Seems like you are familiar with
    Epson compatible ink. Yes, Epson keeps updating the firmware to keep
    generic ink from working. We have customers whose printer was
    purchase within the last month or two, that seems to be working
    fine. You can place an order for 1 ink cartridge and see if it'll
    work on your printer. Since shipping is free, there isn't much of a
    risk.

Sincerely,
    Customer Support
    YourInkCenter.com<

Guess I'll order me a black and see how it goes.

11. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Good information...I'm glad I still have two fulls sets in the drawer from the last time I ordered.

12. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Let us know how it goes. I'm ordering one right now. Chris

13. headcase

headcase Regular member

Well I went ahead and ordered a full set. But I havent gotten a confirmation email yet. I sent them another email asking whats up. In the meantime, is there another printer with the CD/DVD tray. Just in case I end up having to go another route.

14. duckske4

duckske4 Guest

spam/scam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2007
  15. headcase

headcase Regular member

Well I went to InkBoy today and bought 2 of the cartridges that I need. They guaranteed that they would work. Of course they didnt. So now I'm worried that the ones I ordered offline wont work either. On top of that yourinkcenter has yet to sent me a confirmation email. I see where the order has hit my bank, but nothing from them so far. I sent them an email last night asking about the status of my order. ANd havent heard anything yet. Really starting to get worried now. Looks like Epson is the only way to get mine to work now.

16. headcase

headcase Regular member

Ok, was finally able to log onto yourinkcenter.com and check the status of my order. It was shipped same day I placed it. It arrived today. Very fast, considering I placed it on the 5th. And unfortunately just like inkboy it didnt work. So now I have to return it. I broke down and went to CompUSA and bought Epson ink. Got the Color pack on sale for $65 and the Black for $17. Only other option I see is Ebay. SOme folks are sellign genuine Epson ink 2 sets for around $65 plus I think 9 shipping and handling. That puts it at $74 for 2 sets which is ok. A little bit higher than the $5 apiece for generic. So anyone else having any luck?

17. headcase

headcase Regular member

Ok, I see that HP has several printers that print to DVD's. Does anyone have any experience with them? Can you get the generic ink for them? THats the really important question.

18. headcase

headcase Regular member

Alright. Finally got around ot calling yourinkcenter.com to get an RA# so I could send it back. And now the guy is giving me the run around. He insisted that I try installing the cartridges again then turning the printer off. Had me take all of my cartridges out then reinstall them one at a time. ANd finally, offered to send me more that the manufacturer says will work. I told him that I just wanted to send the back. As mine only seem to accept the Espons, and nothing else. So he says they will email the instructions to return it. What kinda crap is that? If they havent by the time I get home today I'll be calling them back and finding out whats up. SO far totally not recommended!

19. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

From what I have read, on other forums, the HP printers are much easier on ink, than the Epsons.

I don't know about generic ink. I always use the real deal, no matter what printer I have.

20. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

A little update cartridge doesn't work.So these 260's are gonna sit here. I'll find another 340 and maybe try the Canon to see how ink usage goes in that.