1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Quick ?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by dellsuck, Jul 20, 2005.

1. dellsuck

dellsuck Guest

When you upgrade a xbox hardrive. Can it be any hardrive. Does sata drive works.

2. kidcorupt

kidcorupt Guest

i am pretty sure you want to get a hard drive that is most compatible with the chip that you are putting in. I used a wester digital, it was good for about 2 years until just recently, it pretty much died on me, i can't even play music or games without it freezing. i don't know if it is the kind of hd that is my problem, but my guy who did mine told me only certain ones are good. mine was a 120 gig, but if i had to do it again, i would go for lower gigs and better quality. hope that helps...

3. dellsuck

dellsuck Guest

What do you mean by quality? What's the differnce? What's a good hardrive with a good quality? Thanks for helping me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2005
  4. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

SATA drives will not work, only ATA/100 drives.

kidcorupt: maybe your drive was corrupted, try to reformat it again cuz 120GB is not an issue. I have two 400GB HDDs and never a problem. They are Seagate drives by the way. So I'd recommend Seagate, Maxtor, and Western Digital.

5. dellsuck

dellsuck Guest

Can it be highter than 100? and if is higher is that good or bad. I'm sorry for this i'm noob.

6. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Yeah ATA/133 drives will work too, as long as it's ATA based.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2005
  7. kidcorupt

kidcorupt Guest

so you recomend i reformat the hd? too bad i never made backups of my games and music. I gotta start all over again. the problem is i am touchy on investing more money into it when 360 will come out shortly. So what would you think the problem is with my cd drive, can you just replace that too? cuz it won't read anything anymore, if i reformat the hd, would that solve the problem. Your advice would be greatly appreciated...:)

8. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Well the HDD and the DVD Drive are different, fixing one won't probably fix the other too. So yeah I would reformat the HDD first. You can replace the DVD Drive with any other working Xbox DVD Drive, it's very simple cuz I've done it a few times before.

9. kidcorupt

kidcorupt Guest

does it have to be a dvd drive from another xbox, or can i go and get any dvd drive? could i get a dvd burner??? thanks for advice...

10. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

It has to be one from another Xbox, however, there's a PC DVD drive that you can modify to read Xbox games. It's Samsung SD-616T model, and the step to tweak it is here at:

http://www.xbox-modchips.com/tutorials/samsung3.pdf

It's a very complicated process, but if you succeed, I think the drive can read any type of media you throw at it. Otherwise, just get an Xbox drive off eBay, preferrably a Samsung drive.