1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Receiver that will convert Component to HDMI?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by cyprusrom, May 13, 2009.

1. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I am looking into buying a Home Theater( most likely pieced together). I don't know much about the stuff, it will be my first setup. For now I am thinking around $500 receiver + speakers.

However,I was doing some research and found out that many receivers do not do a conversion- for example, if I input component, I need to output component. Are there any devices in the price range that would allow to hook up an input through component and output HDMI for example?
    Thanx.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Thanks, I appreciate your response.
    Looking around,(and after figuring out what I need to look for on google :)), came across a few others, similar, about same price range, maybe a bit cheaper. What do you think about the Sony STR-DG920, which seems to have a GUI, and about $100 less:

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/sony-str-dg920/4505-6466_7-32868601.html

Or a Denon:

http://www.dakmart.com/product_info.php?products_id=6530

From this review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr607-black/4505-6466_7-33553470.html?tag=mncol;lst

...it seems that the Onkyo 607 does somehow poorly on upconversion. The Sony seems to have performed better...The Pioneer seems not to be readily available yet...and I am getting a headache, been shuffling through dozens of pages...
    Thanks.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  4. JVC

JVC Active member

I think the ES line of Sony receivers, are the only ones worth looking at. Since they are their top of the line, they are the expensive ones. Sony makes good tvs and BD players, but their receivers leave a lot to be desired. Most say the lower models aren't very stable.

Upconversion = Converting an s-video, composite, or component video signal, to HDMI, so you have only one cable going from receiver to tv.
    Upscaling = Taking a SD picture (480p, as with regular dvds), and upscales it to 1080i or 1080p, depending on what tv you have.

The idiot at cnet, that did the review, doesn't know the difference between upconverting and upscaling! You probably won't find a receiver that does great upscaling, in your price range. One of the better upscaling receivers is the Onkyo 876. It uses the Reon video chip, instead of the Faroujda chip, that most receivers use.

Blu ray players do a very good job of upscaling regular dvds to 1080p or 1080i, whichever tv you have. As far as SD tv channels, Samsung does a better job than most tvs. SD channels look very good on my 61" Samsung LED DLP.

Denon makes very good equipment, but usually at a premium price. You'll pay much more for a Denon, with the same features as an Onkyo. One reason I suggested the Onkyo, is the fact that it decodes all the new HD audio formats found on blu ray movies, and of course, the price. That Denon doesn't decode any of the new HD audio formats. The Denon's HDMI inputs are ver.1.1, and the Onkyo's is ver.1.3a. The Denon remotes are usually a nightmare to learn also.

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  6. JVC

JVC Active member

I like the 706 a little better.
    The 706 has a little more power, has pre-outs in case you ever want to add an external amp, and also has a phono input. I love vinyl albums, so phono input is important to me (but maybe not to you). The 706 also has one more optical input.
    Good luck!