1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A tricky mac to pc backup transfer

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by FREELOWDR, Feb 23, 2006.

1. FREELOWDR

FREELOWDR Member

I moved a number of months ago from America to Europe and I ofcourse brought my ipod with me. Problem is I had access to a mac in the US and all I have is a pc here. I didn't set the ipod to disk mode before I left the US, so now even though I have anapod and ephpod, I can't transfer the songs from my ipod to my computer here. I have looked quite far and wide for a solution but it's just beyond my grasp. Macopener looked hopeful and I plan on testing it, but in the mean time I would still like a cheaper solution for the long term. Thanx as always to you fine people at Afterdawn. Best Wishes

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I use this on my own iPod and LOVE it please give it a try its the best. The program is called Sharepod. It is totally free and available to download here http://www.sturm.net.nz after that loads underneath the word barcode picture theirs 5 choices "Home", "Games", and one called "iPod Programs" thats the one you want. click that. After its done loading you'll need to download "sharepod". It will come in a zipped folder, so extract all its contents to a folder. One of the files you extract will be called "sharepod.exe" (it will look like a hand holding a iPod), right click and copy it. Now go to my computer (with the iPod plugged in!) double click on the iPod icon, once the window for the iPod has opened you just right click and paste the "sharepod.exe" (its like 540 kb) onto your iPod's harddrive. double click on sharepod.exe to start it, double click on the "all songs" folder it will then show a list of all your songs, click one song one time and then hit control (ctrl) and "A" to select all songs, hit the large button that says "To PC" select a destination folder, and hit transfer. depending on the amount of songs it may take a while. lol its a lot easier than this huge paragraph makes it sound. give it a try i bet you wont regret it!

3. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yeah just for kicks i checked out the program jazo123 recommeneded and there basically the same both offer some way to transport your music either to a pc or into iTunes. both have a built in media player. and both have a similar interface. the only difference i can see is in ease of use. I believe Sharepod is very user oriented (ex. clean interface, easy setup, etc) now im not saying CopyPod isnt but heres a link for a CopyPod screenshot
    http://www.shareup.com/viewscr.php?id=21022
    and you can find screenshots as well as a easy to understand guide at the site provided in my previous psot. hope we've helped.

5. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Just expose the hidden folders in your iPod drive (not sure how that is done on the mac) and copy the music tracks from your music folder in [bold]iPod_Control[/bold]

6. FREELOWDR

FREELOWDR Member

Peainapod, Thank you, but I have found a program called xplay. I have gone through several programs and none worked. Anapod, ephpod, and podutil. Finally I found macopener which I know for a fact would have worked, but then I came across xplay, and mind you they both cost money. I read a bit on the sharepod and I am still not sure that will work on an ipod thats been formatted on a mac. I would like to test it but I'm on my fourth program and would rather not. I already got xplay and I highly recommend it(if you have the money). Xplay is free to try for those who are interested. Thanks to all who responded and thanks to afterdawn. Not to mention, thanks to Lethal for his excellent thread. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/250743

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

No problem FREELOWDR thats what the people at these forums are for right? but yeah and Lethal_B i gave that thread that FREELOWDR mentioned a look and good job you really summed it up.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  8. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member