1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A twist on SDLoad

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by StoneRain, Jan 15, 2005.

1. StoneRain

StoneRain Member

I was thinking and looking for comments on my thought.
    So SDload works with accessing an SDcard with a simple adapter in the memory port. SD cards can be read/written via a USB adapter. Would it be possible to "cut out the middle man" meaning, not use the SD card at all. The cost of large SD cards would be gone. The problem of using PSO to setup the card would be gone. I think the adapter contruction cost might go down too.

I know there is also a software limitation. The fact that SD cards were never ment to read the computer. Still, when the GC accesses the memory card it says,"hey, give me XXX info at XXX address" I think a program could easily be written that says,"here is the info you wanted." I understand that your HDs wouldnt just pop up on your computer.

anyone have the technical know how to comment on this?

2. Talon-X

Talon-X Member

I'm no expert, in fact, when It comes to actually programming I'm a dunce... but it sounds viable to me. If someone has the time and energy I bet it could be done. I was actually thinking when I read your post that even some type of connector could maybe even be used to hook the pc straight up to the mem-card port. *shrug* I dunno...

3. StoneRain

StoneRain Member

parallel port is probably the most easy thing to use. USB is always prefered.

Yeah, I'm not a programmer either. I'm chemist by trade and computer geek by hobby only. I'm out of a job so I keep thinking about buying a few books and seeing what I can learn in all my spare time.

I was originally thinking about just patching a memory card to a SD card reader, but I think I have figured out this wont work. The idea itself should still be possible though.

4. YM2151

YM2151 Member

Remember how some games have a rather annoyingly slow time reading your save games and writing them as well? The Memory Card ports aren't hi-speed. While it's true you can load programs and such off the SD Cards or regular memory cards if you wanted, the actual load speeds suck. They are not at all practical for loading and streaming commercial games. The GC has 2 high speed ports I believe, only being the one the BBA goes into. Then there is another that says hi speed port. What would be cool is to see a Hard Disk add-on using the other hi speed port, but that would be a serious undertaking.

5. tempest9

tempest9 Member

I have successfully used VIPER GC RIPPER 1.0 installed on my SD card to rip backups to my pc (w/ NO PSO!). More at this thread:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/154103

With that in mind I figure it might be possible to stream the backups in the other direction.

All with SDload.

and someday who knows using SDload to run DVD backups without having to mod your cube...

6. YM2151

YM2151 Member

With the right software and a minor hardware tweak SDLOAD or PSO could allow you to play DVD-Rs most likely. Again though, with the right software, which doesn't exist yet.

Now again, I'm not sure if you meant streaming from an SD Card (as in an iso on the card) but like I said, it would be painfully slow most likely, and writing the iso to the card alone would take alot of time, nor are there greater than 1Gbyte SD cards that I know of.. And the 1GB ones aren't cheap either.

7. tempest9

tempest9 Member

No, I understand streaming off the SD card is not really feasable. I ment streaming the backup off my pc via the BBA.

Someday, running DVD backups with nothing more than SDload and a little .dol! sigh...

8. StoneRain

StoneRain Member

Someday??? people are already doing it. SDload will int the BBA. There are dols for network loading.

i think what I was talking about originally is that since the adapter is not sold in the US, and you have to solder anyway... Why not make something with less parts. Plus, instant update.

9. tempest9

tempest9 Member

Yes I know it is possible via the BBA now. But these are smaler dols. How can I stream a riped iso back to my gamecube with only SDload and a BBA. I tried netcat but I am running blind. Everything out there is PSO centric and having never used it I don't know what dols and pc apps I need to stream w/o PSO.

and by the way I ment playing DVDRs on the GC w/o a viper mod, only SDload.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005