1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Virus causing a faulty taskbar and network problems. Nod32 can't detect anything.

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by wazza93, Sep 12, 2009.

1. wazza93

wazza93 Member

I had all these viruses and couldn't be bothered getting rid of them all so I just reinstalled windows. After that, things were fine for a couple of days, but then when I booted into Windows Vista Home Premium, the taskbar kinda failed. It appears, but it doesn't seem to refresh. When I open a window, no button becomes available in the taskbar. Also, the icons that appear on the far right don't show correctly.
    When I boot with my wireless card switched off, the taskbar works fine, but my internet connection becomes restricted (after I turn the card back on of course). When I boot with it on, the taskbar is messed up, but the internet DID work fine (until today when it doesn't seem to even start up). I'd upload some screenies to show exactly what I mean, but I'm in Ubuntu at the moment, just so I can use the internet. If this gets any interest, I'll upload some screenshots to show everyone what I mean.
    Also, Nod32 has failed to detect anything. I'm running a virus scan of C in Ubuntu, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for any help.

2. justynf

justynf Member

Upload the pictures.

Is this a genuine copy of windows home vista? Did it come with your computer? Is the computer a laptop? Was the installation process of windows interrupted at any point? Did you just reinstall windows or reformat too?

You could try to go to Start > Run.
    Type CMD and press Enter.
    Type in sfc /scannow.
    This will check system for corrupt files and try to repair.

If you just reinstalled windows without reformatting try scanning with Hijackthis and post a log, without deleting anything it finds yet cause some of these should not be deleted.

My only other suggestion right now is to reformat windows again.

3. wazza93

wazza93 Member

Problem's resolved. My firewall (outpost firewall free) was causing some kind of conflict. I guessed this and after uninstalling it, everything went back to normal. My scan from ubuntu came up with nothing significant so I imagine this was the only problem. I should have posted this sooner to save you the time, sorry. Thanks loads anyway.