1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AAC Audio Quality

Discussion in 'Audio' started by matinzen, Aug 21, 2004.

1. matinzen

matinzen Member

I am confused as to what AAC is, I have read the glossary definition: http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/aac.cfm and I must say I am confused. I also would like to know what bitrate you are getting when you download a song from ITunes, RealOne Player has a music store and I got a $2 coupon and so I was going to download two tracks that I liked but I logged on today to do that, and noticed that tracks were only 49 cents, and albums were only $5 so for $3 I can get an album, the bitrate there is 192kbs AAC. So is that good, how is it compared to lossless and mp3, I have found some sites saying that 64kbs AAC is considered excellent and I was skeptical so I thought I'd ask here.

2. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

AAC is the format usually used on CDs so AAC is usually a better format for small speakers or headphones. I'm not sure what iTunes uses. I would recommend using AAC if you plan on using these songs on a CD player or a mp3 player. Hope this helps.

3. matinzen

matinzen Member

So how good is 192kbs compared to cd.

4. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

Well, AAC at 128 is supposed to be equal to Mp3 at 192. Also, 192 sounds pretty much the same as a regular CD (that's what I've read).