1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AAC to AC3

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Excel2005, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Excel2005

Excel2005 Member

I have a Matroska video with AAC MPEG2/LC audio. I want to convert the audio to AC3 to encode the video for DVD. Simply demuxing the audio using VirtualDubMod and encoding it with dBPowerAmp Music Converter (with the MP4/AAC decoding codec) doesn't work. What encoding programs do I need to extract and convert the audio?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  2. ChrisHJW

ChrisHJW Member

You can extract the AAC audio from the MKV by using mkvextract from command line ( CLI ). Its coming with the mkvtoolnix 1.4.0 installer from http://mkvmerge.matroska.org

Easiest way, however, is to use TMPGencoder to convert video and audio from the MKV file into MPEG2 video and MP2 audio, TMPG has a built in MP2 audio encoder to do that, and MP2 audio is part of the DVD specs also.

Christian
    matroska project admin
    http://www.matroska.org

3. Excel2005

Excel2005 Member

It's a shame that mkvextract doesn't have a dedicated GUI of its own. I'll be using mkvextract a lot since I use AviSynth to frameserve to TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress. Thank you very much for your help anyway.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  4. ChrisHJW

ChrisHJW Member

5. Excel2005

Excel2005 Member

Thanks for that link too.