1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abit mobo Bios update question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bigfish69, Jan 24, 2005.

1. bigfish69

bigfish69 Member

I hope this is a simple question to answer.

Can I update my Abit IC7 mobo BIOS settings from the Abit website if I do not have a floppy drive installed on my PC.

2. bigfish69

bigfish69 Member

Sorry I have found the answer after a search.

From ABIT website
    [qoute]Updating the BIOS on an ABIT motherboard just got even easier! With ABIT-Engineered FlashMenuT, users no longer have to update their BIOS through booting up a floppy disk. BIOS updates can be done automatically through Windows![/quote]

3. askyew

askyew Regular member

Yep abit has a flash utility that will download the latest bios and then flash it. I have a set of rules I have always used to flash my bios, not a bad flash yet(knocking on wood)

1. go into the bios and write down your bios settings. Not doing this can cause extreme headaches after flashing trying to figure out what your bios settings were.

2. download the abit bios flash menu here:
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bios.php?categories=1&model=4

3. It will create a Flash menu proggy on your computer, open it and tell it to download the latest bios.

4. choose to flash with the latest bios. *important** do not fool with anything while flash menu is flashing your bios

5. Unplug your computure from the wall socket. Open the case. Set bios jumper from normal to reset and leave in the reset position for 5 min. smoke a cig, walk the dog, jump the wife, you get the idea.

6. Set the jumper back to normal***before*** you plug the computer back in. If you have any special bios settings be sure to set them back like they were.

4. bigfish69

bigfish69 Member

Thanks for that askyew,

Im fairly new to the computer world and appreciate the advise. Writting down the Bios settings before flashing is one bit of advise I am glad you told me.

Cheers
    Jonny

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

but disable automatic updates for bios as could cause problems like a virus into bios or wrong update, thats why i have 2 identical boards from a friend that did automatic updates that screwed up & boards are for spare parts now as bios chips are soldered to board not in a socket

6. bigfish69

bigfish69 Member

Bit of a Noob question coming up!

Where do you disable automatic updates for the bios update is it in the software for ABIT-Engineered FlashMenuT or do you mean automatic updates from microsoft?

Cheers
    Jonny

7. ddp

check in your bios settings or in motherboard manual, has nothing to do with microsoft

8. askyew

askyew Regular member

How does FlashMenu work?
    It's easy. One-Click Live Update: Just one-click and ABIT FlashMenuT will download the newest BIOS file then program the firmware and save the old BIOS automatically.

Live Update Step by Step: Lets users select the BIOS they want to update and then save the old BIOS into a specified location.

This is from abits web site you still have to open the program and choose one click or step by step to update. One click is just what it says one click will download and install the latest bios from abit. Step by step you tell it to download then select the bios you want to flash with. So it really does not automatically search for bios you have to open and click to connect.

9. bigfish69

bigfish69 Member

Im in the middle of trying to update Bios setings using ABIT-Engineered FlashMenuT, unfortunately there seem to be a problem where i am getting an error message saying "a connection with the server could not be established", is this just a server problem from Abit or is it something else?

Cheers in advance

10. ddp

more likely abit

11. bigfish69

bigfish69 Member

I have been trying all night to connect, but to no avail

12. ddp

if this is the computer you are trying to flash than problem is not you but them as you wouldn't be able to post here if it was your problem

13. bigfish69

bigfish69 Member

Mobo Bios flash utility from Abit works a dream, my pc is now up to date.

Ceers for the advise.

14. ddp

no problem, teach & learn