1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About 6800 Nvidia Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lecsiy, May 19, 2006.

1. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Hey,

Im looking to spend around £100-130 on a graphics card, i have been very intrested in the 6800 graphics card.
    But they really confuse me.
    Whats the best one to get for 140 pound???
    Cheers.

2. codydog

codydog Regular member

I looked around in the reviews, seems like a good card. Never installed one. Before you are set, just do a google or whatever search engine you use. Enter "best video card reviews." Or put the slot type too, I think the 6800 is pci-e. You have a price range in mind, read what other people think of the card. Not what commercial reviews have to say, but people who are gamers or into heavy graphics. When someone is proud or disappointed, they will post it. It seems people post complaints more than satisfaction. But you can tell real quick if the card is what you want.

3. AxFactor

AxFactor Regular member

6800's can be either pci-e or crap can't think of the other one but they make em for both slots :p anywaz Evga 6800 gs is pretty good you can run sli with them and it's 170 dollars

4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

:)

@axefactor, i believe the word you were looking for was "AGP" :)

i will have to agree with you though as i currently am running 2 (dual Evga Geforce 6800 ultras pci-e) in SLI on my current rig, for the price (as budgeted by lecsiy) i feel PERSONALLY it does the job pretty well~ :)

i had a 6800 ultra in the AGP chipset on my older computer, it ran applications very well, even though i am NOT a heavy gamer...

@lecsiy, i am in the U.S., so i am not familiar with the many distributors over there that sell GPU cards in your locale, but from my experience of the Geforce 6 series of cards, the 6800 is by far the best one (i've used xfx 6600gt as well as my evga 6800 ultras) :) i don't overclock my video cards if that is an interest to you, but for the money spent, a 6800 is better than a 6600 (without overclocking/unlocking of the pipelines) :)

docTY~

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

6. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Ok, let me clear this up. I am currently saving up to buy a:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?ASU-A8NSE

As you see this is sli enabled and im looking to get a good sli enabled GPU.

It has PCI-E.

Now for say £150 whats the best card i can get matching thoose requirements.

P.s Thanks for all your replys so far!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

8. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Is that card sli enabled if not then i would prefer a sli enabled one!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

why? SLi really isn't that useful (I can give proof if you like) but if you must have an SLi card then go for http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/107351 but it's not as fast and only in a couple of elite games will SLi really prove it faster than that single X850XT for the same price.

10. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

Hey lecsiy, have you really looked around to see what your money could get you ?
    yeah the X850& 6800 are good cards but for £6 more than your max budget of £140 you could get a X1800 GTO http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_X1800_Series_705.html or a 7600GT http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_7600_Series_356.html both of these cards will out perform a 6800/X850 by a fair bit.
    Both will play newer gaming titles really well & it's possible to flash the X1800 GT0 to X1800 XL spec's unlocking it to a full 16 pipe card.
    Just my veiw on the matter .....

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heavens above that came down!!!
    was £170 last time I looked (last week). Yeah the X850XT's good but the X1800GTO's better still, thanks for pointing that one out! I'd prescribe the 1800GTO over a 7600GT personally.

12. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

Yeah me to, but it's better to give the guy options :)

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh absolutely, I'm glad you take the same stance on that!

14. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?XFX-76GT

AND..... it comes in a great box

Me ? I prefer the nvidia cards

but only because i had a crap ati once and don't want to have the experience again

perhaps if a get a customer who wants an ati card i'll have a play and get converted until then i'll keep recommending nvidia

novatech are a good choice as well they have great customer relations
    (course that could be cos I spend a lot of cash there lol)

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's always the same, had one bad experience which is never the ATI or nvidia's fault, then defer to the other brand for life.

16. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

Goodness me no I'm totally openminded, if i'd been offered ati eqivilents of the 7800 at the same price i got this one there would be an ati in my box lol the latest ati are as good if not better than the latest nvidia i think you get that which you prefer, but the games i play were all written with nvidia cards in mind

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Are you sure? UT2004 is an nVidia "The way it's mean to be played" game but an X800XL will run it better than a 6800GT...

18. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

which proves the point

I think?

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, just an agreement.

20. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

LOL

we all have our own "OPINIONS" about ati vs nvidia, i have an equal amount of cards from BOTH companies, they all serve my purpose just fine (not an avid gamer as i mentioned earlier), it's just a matter of price shoppping and find a card that will suit YOUR own needs...

as far as OPINIONS go, i PERSONALLY favor nvidia cards, that's just ME...my ati cards, depending on which one i use to compare, WILL beat nvidia in certain benchmarks, but as personal experiences go, when i started building computers, the drivers for the OLD Radeon series were very much inadaquate, the catalyst drivers now are superb...just personal preference...

but if you INSIST on an SLI setup, i would go nvidia over ati's crossfire offering, i've started a build on a friend's computer recently utilizing the "crossfire" setup using dual ATI cards on an ASUS board (he has the $$$ for the higher end ATI offerings), not that having dual vid cards makes THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE, it really does not, BUT, since i've built and used BOTH, the nvidia SLI performs "better" for my buddy's NEEDs than the ATI equivalent, i'm limited to only have built 1 cross-fire setup though, so, this is an OPINION once again, not fact. :)

docTY~