1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? about "free streaming" music.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by fishbulb, Aug 22, 2005.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

@djscoop
    I've been checking out winamp.com to get a feel for how it works. So you can only get the plugin to rip [bold]and[/bold] burn the songs if you purchase winamp as opposed to using the free version? Then I'm assuming you have the purchased version, right? So basically the only thing I can do with the free version is listen to songs? If I just have the free version, could I use Net Transport or Streambox to capture the songs and then burn w/ some other software?

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

@ elsamboys

Think of it as "dubbing" a tape from the radio. Whatever it was then it is now.

About bearshare, don't use it! the light version is mostly crap, and the basic (free) version is full of adware. The pay-version is just the free version without the adware. Checkout: LimeWire and/or Shareaza if you want high quality downloads.

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah bearshare sucks. for downloading music, use soul seek.

fishbulb:
    about winamp, stick with the basic free version. although the pro version does have all the ripping/burning features, I just use my winamp to play mp3s, and listen/capture streams. If I want to burn an mp3 or audio CD, I just use nero. So exactly, just capture the streams with streambox and burn with other software.

4. elsamboys

elsamboys Regular member

thanks for respond

5. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

@djscoop
    Could you post a link for soul seek? I did a search but came up w/ at least 4 different sites by that name. Not sure which one is legit.

6. ardvark23

ardvark23 Member

eh recording streaming audio will result in a VERY low quality file, I really suggest just downloading the full song from your service, I use rhapsody25 here which allows 25 free streams a month plus 360kbs quality files, www.rhapsody.com/freemusic

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Actully you don't loose any quality at all using stream ripper. It sounds about as good as it does when your listening to it on winamp radio.

8. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

Thanks for posting that link to rhapsody, ardvark23. That's one I've been meaning to check out but I guess I just lost it in the shuffle of all these other sites. I went to the site and want to make sure I read it right. You actually get 25 songs per month to download w/out using a credit card when you register? I assume it's no problem burning these songs also?

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

http://www.slsknet.org/

you will be very impressed with soul seek, guaranteed. It is much better than other standard P2P ones like Bearshare or Limewire. Soul Seek is specifically for music only

10. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

Thanks buddy! That was one of the one's I saw in my search. I'll be checking it out now.

11. soberfree

soberfree Regular member

diabolos... can u show me step by step how to capture trance from winamp radio.. thanks

12. soberfree

soberfree Regular member

thanks anyway diabolos i play around with streaming in winamp, and found what i need ,,,this is a great site.

13. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea, its pretty easy with WinAMP.

14. Jason_Z

Jason_Z Member

What did you think of that rhapsody program? I've only tried it out recently and have really liked it so far. 25 free streams a month is pretty cool.

15. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

I haven't tried it yet. Probably will register tonight and get started. I have a list of songs I've been wanting for quite some time now. So Rhapsody doesn't provide burning software for the free downloads does it? Will I have to use one of the before mentioned programs to capture and then burn?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  16. ardvark23

ardvark23 Member

Rhapsody DOES have built in burning software but I haven't used it yet, I've bought about 3 albums at 99 cents a song with it & have used it for about 2 months, your 25 streams refresh every month so its a good way to sample music.

17. Jason_Z

Jason_Z Member

Yeah that's what I've been using it for. I've been able to avoid albums I might have otherwise paid money to hear :D I'm not sure about capture programs for the audio but. I'm sure that something is entirely within the realm of possibility. The CD burning software that comes with it works well though for already owned mp3 and the built in playlist creator for mp3s is one of the quickest and best I've used.

18. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

I know Napster says you can't burn any tracks to CD unless you purchase them, but if I downloaded the trial version, would I be able to use an "outside" program to burn the tracks I download/stream?

19. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

another good program is called audio record wizard

it records all audio from streams or any audio comming from your sound card

you can get it at www.download.com and the software comes with a link it is a good piece of recording software for 30.00 and will record any format to any format but still uses mostly mp3 and wma right now but still good considering itunes converts everything

also be carefull some internet streams have trackers that if you try to record from there stream they will get you ip address and report it to the feds

so have fun
    and be safe

20. djscoop

djscoop Active member

how could they tell if you download the stream? from their side it just looks like the user is listening to the stream, they have no way of knowing its being recorded. if that wasn't the case, then all these streaming companies like DI wouldn't have changed their streams to a lower bitrate like they have. I think thats just another myth like the destroying blockbuster dvds