1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About newsletters

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by maz, Jul 21, 2002.

1. maz

maz Guest

The Afterdawn newsletter is great. But i have a question for you DRd, It seems that the legal issues in the US are catching up on most of the file sharing companies, and such. Do you think they will hit closer to home?(meaning indiv. users or afterdawn itself) Just wondering, beacause i have been reading up on these, and it seems that everytime i read them another company is going after another person...

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

AfterDawn.com should be safe, at least until end of the year -- we operate from Finland/European Union and we don't have laws (yet) that make stuff like DVD backups or software that will crack DVD copy protection (SmartRipper) illegal.

But by end of the year, law called EUCD -- European Union Copyright Directive -- will come into effect in all EU countries. Each member state has powers to adjust the law to suit for their individual needs and there's currently an on-going debate in Finland how the law will be implemented. If the worst case scenario comes into effect, it will make it illegal to distribute tools that circumvent copy protection, such as DVD's CSS. And if this happens, we will continue operating as usual, but will remove all tools from our site that allow users to crack CSS. Also some other tools, like StreamBox VCR, will probably be removed by then. But the rest of the stuff -- forums, guides, news, other tools, etc will stay online.

3. maz

maz Guest

well thats sucks...thanks for the info...i guess if they come out with a new copyright protection we will not be able to crack it...