1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About reformatting...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mowner, Nov 6, 2004.

1. mowner

mowner Guest

Hey

If i reformat my pc and i dont want some data to be lost e.g downloads... what i should do??

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

copy your info on cd/dvd if you have a burner

3. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

You can avoid backing-up data by having a multi partitioned drive. One partition on a drive for the O/S and some programs and another partition for movies and such. This way if you need to reformat and reinstall the O/S you don't need to wory about the majority of your data and programs. You just need to reinstall the programs on the primary bootable partition.
    The next time you reformat the whole drive, make more than one partition with Fdisk.You need about 5gb for the O/S and some utility programs like antivirus and spyware and other such utilities that keep your system clean. The rest of the drive can be used as you like for storage,back-up and such.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

still copy info onto cd/dvd just in case drive should die, you still have info to put onto new drive, a couple of my customers found out the hard way when drive died so did their info

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

HDDs are much more reliable than optical media (provided you're not meddling with them between formatting ,,, which you shouldnt be)

;)