1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About Usenext

Discussion in 'Usenet newsgroups - Help, how-tos and discussion' started by sammorris, Oct 9, 2005.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, its a technical impossibility to download at your full bandwidth and it not slow down web browsing, but I'll look into UseNext. I don't have a paypal acount, although I'm looking into getting one.

2. Glitched

Glitched Guest

Iw ould never buy p2p software ,TOO risky

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, that's exactly my concern. Registered for paypal now, so i might give it a bash.
    If you were to not authorise payment for months within ur 12 month contract, can they force the money out of you?

4. mattn1979

mattn1979 Guest

Is Usenext legal? it says it is but you no how those things go!

5. Glitched

Glitched Guest

Are psp programs are illegle,even torrents are illegle

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

From someone who can't even spell illegal, i should ignore that.
    And in any case, it's not true.
    The whole reason whay all these programs still exist is that they have legitimate purposes. Just because the vast majority of their users download illegal content doesn't mean to say that the program is illegal. However, if things get too out of hand, they get shut down.
    Try not to think "Oh, people download illegal stuff on it, therefore the program's illegal" - that just isn't the case If it were, the access page would be as easy to reach as divx movies on a HTTP server.

7. uberd0g

uberd0g Member

@sammorris

UseNext does download at full bandwidth capacity. The point I was making is that it'll allow your web browser access to the bandwidth when needed. If you want to view a website, usenext won't stop your browser from accessing the bandwidth required to download it. I've used a couple of programs that download pretty fast but make your browser struggle and freeze up.

With usenext, you can browse the web quite happily and not notice that it's running in the background.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's clever, and I've not seen a program that takes that yet, but then again it may be because I usually have more than one program of that kind runng at a time, for example i currently run limewire and emule simultaneously.

9. Hewthunk

Hewthunk Member

It really is worth the money! They have options that only go for a month, not 12, but I think when my month runs out I will get a year. To kinda explain how fast it is, here is what I experienced, I'm not sure if I didnt configure it right or what, but I have Cable internet, and with BitComet i could only get about 50 Kb/s. And now that I have been using UseNeXT I have gone through the 3Gig trial in less than 1 day and my average download speed is about 6000 Kb/s!!! It is amazing! That is the fastest I have ever downloaded ANYTHING! Definatly worth the free trial, and I bet you will want to keep using it, even if you have to pay!

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

6000KB/S is only possible if you have a LAN T3 connection all to yourself. There's no way you could get 50 Meg throughput on a cable modem. I'm agreeing that the service seems fast though, so if PayPal get their act together, I'll sign up.

11. Hewthunk

Hewthunk Member

Ya, sorry, I put that in wrong. I really meant 6000 Kbit/s and it was getting bursts up to about 8000 Kbit/s, so its really maxing at about 1000 Kbyte/s

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's still ludicrously high. You on 8Mb then?

Anyway I've signed up to UseNext, but it's a little intimidating that the site regularly switches between English and German, if i close the window and reload it comes back in English, but that's not exactly very helpful. Also, unlike all the other download programs I have, I don't have a clue how the download system works, it's all very complicated and strange.

13. bolognass

bolognass Member

I will have to suggest anyone that has an extra $10 a month to join Usenext. It is overly worth it. I can't give you a number on the speed of downloads I was getting, but lets just say I downloaded the full versions of Black & White 2 as well as Neverwinter Nights and all the expansions in about 2 hours(Not concurrently, one at a time). It is ridiculously fast, I didn't even know my cable modem could go that fast. I don't know everything about it yet, but it is well worth the money especially if you are into downloading DVDs, games, or anything really. I have really found that the amount of time I used to spend searching for games with bittorrent and downloading them costed me more money(time is money) than just going out and buying the stupid thing. So usenext is a blessing. It may be a little daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it you wont go back.

P.S. About the german thing. The company is a german company. If you go to usenext.com you will never see the german. The german one is usenext.de

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, on many occasions from the english site, it defaults back to the german one without the ".de" ever being typed on your keyboard, or any german link being clicked on your mouse. I must say I did enjoy the free trial, but $90 upfront is a bit much at present.

15. uberd0g

uberd0g Member

Whenever I complete a payment to usenext via paypal I am taken back to the german usenext site. It's not much of a problem (just click on the us flag to switch back to english text) but it proves that the language switching thing does happen.

PS> I've noticed that usenext isn't very good for movie downloads (they're usually in german), but it's great for getting hold of videogames and music.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've heard there are english and US usenet servers around, but how to access them?
    There are all sorts of browser plugins and ftp apps around, but ive no idea what theyre used for/how to use them.

17. billybob

billybob Regular member

Sorry, i just read the first page and the top of the second.

And jesus christ. P2P are not illegal! They are simply file sharing/hosting problems (or sites for torrents), downloading OR uploading any copyrighted/illegally obtained/cracked materials is the illegal part. Unless your in canada i THINK. So dont quote me on the canada thing.

Btw sammorris, im glad ur still here, ive had a hectic few months but i remember u helping me alot. And congratz on the Addict status, not sure if u had it last time i saw u.

And oh crap, i just made a new thread before seeing this one. Im sorry, i always do that. What i wanted to know was if its like torrentz where u have to find the site that hosts the torrent to download it...or wheter its more like a p2p program like limewire where it has a built in search engine. Damn im sorry about making the new thread.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Usenext is basically like a standard P2P client in operation, search, double click, and you have the file, simple as that. Good to hear from you again billybob, I've been an Addict for quite a while now...

19. gordy11

gordy11 Member

i use newshosting have used it for awhile now, resonable
    price depending on pound agaist the dollar. at moment about £7 a month.
    however if anyone tells u you get your full bandwidth speed
    they are having u on .
    on average i get 400 kbps and once got 1000.
    most of the files are usually available on bittorrent first
    but you get greedy people leeching and not leaving files to seed long enough.
    so you decide.

hope this info helps

20. billybob

billybob Regular member

Are there no free usenext clients?