1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

absolute begginer needs help

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by che4, Nov 3, 2006.

1. che4

che4 Member

hi every1,
    maybe this is not the place, but I couldt find better one here..
    So, I just got the XBOX, I want to mod it, but first of all I need an information about it, if anyone knows a site with additional information about it.

1. I need to know how to get what version is my XBOX?
    2. is it possible to do a mod without the chip? if not, how can I get information about the available vhips at the market and the compability of certain consoles with the chips?
    3. also need to know if there is smb. who can actually do this for me?

2. che4

che4 Member

3. gamecopyr

gamecopyr Guest

hello newbie! jk!

lol! on Afterdawn.com there are these things called stickies in the dicussion forums. most of the time they answer your questions, so just a friendly reminder to read a few before starting a new tread!

here's a sticky explaining what your looking for... hope i was of some help!

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/311710

if you need some more help, or if i didn't really help at all, just post again!

4. gamecopyr

gamecopyr Guest

your site is good, and the question that you asked depends on your needs and the thickness of your wallet! lol!

softmodding is completely removable, and if you screw up... you can fix it!

hardmodding is not always reversable, and if you screw up... there's a possiblitly that you can't fix it!

I have opted for softmodding because of price, and the ablity to reverse all things done to the xbox.

5. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

I don't have knowledge of softmodding, But I hardmodded my Xbox. If you are willing to spend a little money, then I would go with the Hardmod. If you are not willing to spend much, or just don't want to, then go with the Softmod. Though I have heard that going with Hardmod has its advatages, as if you make a mistake on a softmod, it's a little difficult to fit. Tell me what you want to do, and I could help you from there.

6. che4

che4 Member

All I want is.. to be able to play games downloaded from the net, instead of paying for it, to be able to watch DVDs and listen to mp3 CDs/DVDs...
    I already swallowed a lot of information about it.. so as being harwear-ist, I will trully prefer that, but if the softmod can bring me the same success, I do not see a reason to do it! So this is actually my question:

1. Is it better to do the softmod, and is it going to give me the ability to watch DVDs, listen to MP3s, and play non original games?

2. If I decide to do the hardmod, is it possible to do it without soldering? and of it is, what is going to be the cost?

My XBOX is v.1.0, NTSC, made in Mexico.

If I make the calculation:
    XBOX DVD kit $30
    Splinter Cell Double Agent $50

thats already $80... so it is already worthless to make calculations.. :))))))

7. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

The difference with Softmod and Hardmod, is that on Softmod, if you screw up on something, you basically have to start over. So with the DVD kit, and Game you say it's 80 bucks. You can get a chip for your xbox for that price, or cheaper, and yes you can get a solderless one. I bought the Xecuter 3 CE for $84 shipping included. I bought it at Divineo.com, and they are really good with these kind of things. So In my opinion, go with the Hardmod, cause if you screw something up, it's not that hard to fix.

8. che4

che4 Member

10x for the advice DAVGERM4...
    Actually now I am in the middle of the softmoding via savegame... the only problem that now occures is how to connect the memory unit to the PC, or otherwise, how to connect a USB stick to the XBOX...

So as I told you I am a hardware fan, and now I have connected the XBOX controller socket to USB (male / female), but it does not recognoise either my USB memory stick (PQI Traveking Disk U250 512MB) or my card reader with SD CARD on it....
    After a few minutes I'll have a memory unit... but I do not know how to connect the mother f****r to my PC...

Any suggestions?

9. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

I heard that for doing the Softmod, you need Action Replay, because it comes with a device, that lets you hook up to your computer, and to your Xbox.

10. che4

che4 Member

I have the needed software "Action Replay"
    I made myself a USB to XBOX cable.. it is working..
    I did the softmode (at least the first few steps), now I have the main idea how to do it, and how it is working...

thanks to everyone who made my mod easier!!!

now this thing is turning to a addiction :))))))
    I have a HDD Seagate 300G, but it is an SATA interface, and my desktop PC is no more in use, so I decided to put the piece of metal in my XBOX, and so on this mechine to be my Media Centre... i.e. I want to keep in it all my music and videos, and hopefully to configure it as an FTP server... so in other words I want to make one step further :))))))

next question:
    is it possible (and how) to replace the HDD with a SATA one... with an soft mode only?

I keep reading forum after forum and site after site about it, but if anyone has some suggestions or advices, pls refer to me!

11. cakes227

cakes227 Guest