1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolute BEST software for what I need?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by clickclak, Mar 20, 2005.

1. clickclak

clickclak Guest

Hi all..

I have several .avi files that I need to convert onto DVD, but would like to purchase some professional software that can do it ALL-IN-ONE.. Money is not a factor, I just want to know what is considered ABSOLUTE TOP OF THE LINE.. I had heard of a program called dvdSanta, but supposedly there are many others. Thanks in advance, a response ASAP would be great :]

2. mini_mod

mini_mod Member

try searching for threads similar to yours, you might have more luck than waiting for people to answer you.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2005
  4. clickclak

clickclak Guest

great, ill check that out now.. Thanks :]

5. Molder

Molder Regular member

Give Avid Express alook, top shelf stuff. Another one is Ulead Video Studio 8, Vegas, there are a few.

Good luck
    M

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Have you tried NVE(NeroVisionExpress)? It will allow you you to convert the files(It also converts faster than most of the other file conversion apps), add more than one file(seperately or all at once), create a custom menu for your compilation so you can navigate and go to any file you wish, set chapters, compress, and burn to DVD all in one app.

It even has a software remote control with which to preview your work and make sure it works and allows you to make any changes you wish before you burn to disc.

It comes in the Nero Ultra 6 suite, an entire suite of audio and video programs which you can use for free each and every month for the entire month(from the 22nd to the 22nd of each month) til you decide to buy(which I highly recommend). You must reinstall it each month and then you are good to go for that month.

I also have a simple basic NVE 3 guide I wrote that makes it pretty simple to operate for an application of this type.

Good luck however you decide to go :>)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  7. clickclak

clickclak Guest

I have nerovision express

lay the guide on me :D

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Here ya go, this is an excellent authoring app, the only one I like better is DvdLab Pro, but it's more complicated and costs 200.00. You will get great results with NVE 3 and as authoring apps go it is fairly simple to use.

*note*- Let me start out by saying this is not intended as a complete step by step guide, but is a blueprint of sorts designed to give you steps to follow. NVE is more compicated than a simple burn guide. Use the NVE manuel which can be found at the Nero Homepage. You can download it, print it, or do as I do which is put all the Nero Ultra 6 manuels in a folder on my desktop which I can go to at any time and review.

If you use this guide and then have questions about something I wrote, go to the manuel and it will have pictures that will clarify what I said. You will be fine, it is one of the simpler programs of this type.

As always, use good media, but use RW's to make sure your DVD works before burning to R media. A lot more can go wrong in DVD authoring than in making simple DVD backups, you are actually creating the menu for your movie.

This is great for doing downloaded files, or TV files, or VHS files you have converted to DVD. I record movies off TV that aren't on DVD (either convert those files to DVD compliant or use a DVD recorder which puts out DVD compliant files). Remember, NVE is a file converter. When you add the files (step 3) NVE will automatically convert those files for you to DVD compliant files.

Here is my quickie NeroVision Express (NVE) guide I wrote, hope it helps.

Open NVE

Choose make DVD > DVD Video

click on add files on the right.

From the window browse to your files and add them one at a time, wait in between for NVE to do it's thing and when the file is finished add the next and so on til done. This is where NVE will convert non compliant files if needed.

If you wish to create chapters, click on each file one at a time after they have all been converted, and hit "create chapters" starting with the 1st then hit next and you can set your chapters manually, (which I do it's faster) or you can let NVE do it for you auto. There is a preview window, just slide the slider, note time on right and stop it, hit the set chapter button. (see edit)

Go back and repeat this step for each file til done.

Attention: NVE 3 will now let you add all files at once and treat it as one big file if you wish to do so. Or you can hold down Ctrl button and click on each file and then hit add files, and you will have only one file to edit, create chapters, etc.

Note, you can also edit your files in the same manner(one at a time) by hitting "edit movie" then going back and repeating for each file. I like adding all the files at once to begin with and then you only have to edit one file without having to go back for each one.

If you do have editing to do, do it before you add chapters, because it will change their location.

Note- for editing, I'm just giving you the basics. Most movie files don't need editing, unless they have commercials, etc. You use the button with the scissors on it, click it once to start, move the cursors to include what you don't want, then click the scissor button again and that's it. You have edited out a section. Repeat this step again for each section you wish to edit. You can also trim beginnings or ends at once.

Now it's time to create a menu. hit next and here you set your layout,backgrounds,buttons, text, font, colors, etc. For NVE 3-To use the nero templates just choose, if you wish to create a custom menu click on "edit menu".

A very neat feature here, you can import backgrounds, video clips, pictures, etc. to incorporate in your menu. There are 3 little cameras for this import feature. Just left click on each for it's specific function.

Each heading on the right in this section is self explanatory, click on each one down the line, follow the cues until done. This gives you background, buttons, font, colors, activation and choose button colors, etc.

Once your window is setup, on the left you can right click on your buttons and select properties, go in and type titles, fonts, etc. for your buttons now, like "scenes 1-5" or "chapters 7-10", etc.

Hint- I like to go to movie sites and get video clips for moving scenes in my buttons, backgrounds, posters for the backgrounds of my menus, and photos for my custom menu. You can also get video clips from within the movie itself for your buttons or background which will loop and keep a running video within the button or background. You will need to play around here til you get the hang of it, the manuel is a great aid.

When finished, hit next and you will see a software remote control. Use this as you would one from your living room chair at home and play with your movie. Go to different chapters, FF, rev., pause, etc. If you wish to change something you can still go back, if all is to your liking then hit next.

Set your parameters for burning, ie.-your burner, your HD, record settings, it's in the box at the top right.

When all is ready hit burn, go away, leave the PC alone, NO MULTITASKING !

When you return play your masterpiece you created!

One final comment, if you have too many files NVE will ask you if you want it to compress to fit to disc. I suggest you write to the hard drive in this case, if there is a large amt. of compression to be used and then use these files with an app that is more suited to compression like RB/CCE or Shrink, DVDCopy 3, etc., whatever you use to back up DVD's. Since you have NVE 3, you should have Nero recode, and it will work fine. Your end result will be much better.

NVE is an excellent authoring program and converter, DVD backup programs are made to compress without losing much, if any, quality. Let each do their own 'thang" and your finished product will be much better.

good luck.... Happy Blazing!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

use DivxToDvd its free and VERY VERY EASY to use! excellant...

[​IMG]

10. clickclak

clickclak Guest

BigOrange - I need a bit of help with NVE

I found it quite easy to use, and enjoyed making custom menus, however on the menus the FONTS under the EPISODE names are WAY too small, and I've looked EVERYWHERE for the option to change it, but I can't find it! Help!

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

click MORE options under intro screen showed here!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  12. clickclak

clickclak Guest

When I click on FONT it just brings up a COLOR WHEEL with a font name, no option like you had to set the point size for the font..

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

you need to bring that part up!

the window shown go to the bottom and click the

[​IMG]

14. clickclak

clickclak Guest

wicked, im gonna try that as soon as i get home

thanks rotary!

15. Molder

Molder Regular member

The only problem I found with NVE3 is the mpeg encoder is crap, if you want transitions and the like you are better to use a non linear editing program (NLE) Vegas, Pinnicle make one, Ulead do Video Studio 8, if you want to just encode use TMpeg, there really is better programs out there outher than NVE3.

M

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

clickclak,

I see rotary has fixed your problem(I already PM'd ya back tho before I saw his post), thanx rotary.

Molder, I gave him something that's fairly easy to use and be able to create a menu for and be able to burn all in one app. Using TMPGEnc(if that's what you're referring to requires also the use of TMPGEnc's DVD Author app as well for menu authoring, plus it's conversion is rather lengthy, and it doesn't allow you to add all the files at once and treat them as one, at least, not my version(2.521.58.169).

Sony Vegas is an excellent proggy along with Sony DVD Architect, but who's got 1500.00 laying around to spend on software, not many.

I also have Ulead's Studio 8 and personally I like NVE 3 better. My favorite app is DvdLab Pro, but like Sony's Vegas and DVD Architect, it's not for novices and it also costs quite a bit at 200.00.

For these reasons I suggested NVE 3, plus the fact he already had it, but I recommend it to others too because it has a complete suite of other useful programs for audio and DVD(not to mention cover design, toolkit, 2 burning engines, recode, etc. etc. etc.) and it all comes in one app for 79.00. I also think it's end results are good, especially working with TV shows and movies.

Anyway, thought I would clarify my reasoning for suggesting NVE 3 :>)

17. Molder

Molder Regular member

Hey bigorange,
    You didn't need to clarify you response, I realise where you were comming from, clickclak did say that money was not a factor, that is why I recommended Avid Express. (I was probably being stupid though).

All is good. <:)-D)

I really don't like NVEs' encoder, sorry.

M

18. darew9291

darew9291 Member

i tried Burning an AVI woth NVE like 4 times and it would re code and then at the end when its about to start the burning process it would tell me i have to insert a DVD even though i had one in there

Is this a hardware problem because i this never happened to me before only with this particular file

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It could be hardware, software, or media. Sorry,LOL

have you tried this file with any other app?

Also, have you used NVE 3 before using the same media and burner but with a different file successfully?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  20. darew9291

darew9291 Member

yes i did and it jus burned without any hesitation no litles pop ups asking me to insert anbother cd.

the file works though i tested it so i dont no