1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC-3 confusion

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by jklein11, Sep 30, 2004.

1. jklein11

jklein11 Guest

Hi all,
    I hope somone can please help me with this issue. I have a LD Player with an AC-3 RCA out. I was left by a relative over 200 Lasar discs. The LD Player has an rca connector for the AC-3 out signal.
    I use my computer for my tv/sound system. My question is how do i get the AC-3 signal to a sound board. Do i need a sound board with a SPDIF rca type connector. Do i also need a decoder?
    I have been doing a lot of research on this, and i think it will work, but im not sure.
    I do have a tv board which im happy with so i can get a fine picture. The sound is flat as it is only stero.
    Thank You in advanced

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Most Laserdisks contain digital stereo audio, just like a CD.
    This audio contains a matrixed surround sound signal, ie. Dolby ProLogic.
    AC3 5.1 audio was introduced in the 90's at the end of LVD production, and very few LVDs contain it.
    If you have an AC3 LVD, you will need an AC3 decoder.
    The latest LVD players (like my Pioneer CLD-1091) will have an SPDIF audio output - mine is optical.
    Asus motherboards use RCA SPDIF, and usually have only output, with higher-end mobos having input as well.
    My ABit AN7 motherboard has optical SPDIF, both in and out (perfect!) which is why I selected it.
    If you have an RCA SPDIF out on your LVD player, you will need a matching input on either your mobo or soundboard, and then of course a decoder.
    Since you will not find many AC3 Laserdisks, you could just hookup in stereo.
    Further to this, you could use an old A/V receiver to get top-quality ProLogic surround.
    Getting AC3 through your PC (which I have) is a bit more of a project :)
    If you have the RCA SPDIF out, at least Asus mobos will not be disqualified for you...
    Hope this helps; if you have further questions or more specific, ask away!
    Regards
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

ABIT AN7 nForce2 Ultra 400
    XP2500+ Barton @ 3200+
    2 x 512MB PC3200[/small]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  3. jklein11

jklein11 Guest

Thanks ..
    I do have a prologic receiver, but im in a tight space for now so was trying to reduce the amount of black boxes. Have emailed a few sound board mfgs, and so far they have been honest and helpful. SOundblaster will do what i want..but its pricey. Will probably go that way. Other sound board mfgs told me with the right codec (assuming the rca connection) theirrs would also.
    All my Lds used to play very vibrantly though the tuner, now they cound very flat in stero. i want that surround sound quality back.
    I have a good motherboard, but at the time playing the LD through the puter wasnt an option, now it is.
    I have a pioneer cld-d505 and always looking for a spare one or upgrade on ebay.
    Thank You