1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC3 5.1 to WAV 2.0 with Besweet/Belight

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by BigOlly, Apr 3, 2009.

1. BigOlly

BigOlly Member

Still having problems with converting 5.1 to 2.0. I’ll start from the beginning so it’s known what I’m doing.

Just working on a fan cut of Superman II using two sources, The Richard Donner Cut DVD and the theatrical cut DVD. Both soundtracks are in 5.1 but I need a 2.0 mix because my old version of Ulead doesn’t support 5.1. I really should upgrade but I’ll do that at a later date when I next upgrade my PC.

I’ve been experimenting with the besweet/belight combination because it’s a little easier to understand. More then happy to give Besweet a go if anyone thinks that will help.

Basically when I convert the AC3 file (which I demuxed in DVD2AVI) to 2.0 WAV there is notably difference in volume between the two sources. The theatrical cut is louder then the Donner Cut. Now obviously I can correct this in Ulead when editing but it’d be great to get it right from the outset.

I set dynamic compression to normal and have experimented with pre, post and hybrid gain all of which yield near enough the same results. I’ve also tried adding normalization after compression as per davexnet suggestion. I haven’t yet tried the ‘boost option’.

If there something I’m missing?

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

About all you can do is adjust manually after decoding.
    Try the DVD Video forums - this is for High Resolution Audio, not Dolby Digital - which is about as Low Res as it is possible to get.
    One of it's problems is the Dialnorm control word - this will attenuate L,R,Ls,Rs by the value set for Centre channel. Average is -27dB meaning that from the ideal of -31 set for Dialogue, the mix will be attenuated by -4dB.