1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC3 sound very quiet

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Powa, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Powa

Powa Regular member

Hi, I've got some divx/xvid files with AC3 audio in them, and they play very quietly - not near as loud as videos with normal audio. I've turned all the sounds up on the computer and on the player, and its still too quiet.

I've got the AC3 Filter from sourceforge. Is there an option there that can increase the volume?

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

I believe you have to experiment with the master and gain channels.

Sorry I cant be more specific, Im not at my computer right now...

3. Powa

Powa Regular member

Ok I've increased those to max, and there doesn't seem to eb any difference at all?

4. Powa

Powa Regular member

Still too quiet? Powerdup are you there? ;)

5. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Heh, sorry, Im still trying to get a handle on your problem.

Well if the ac3 filter doesnt work, you could try demuxing the audio stream and convert it to an mp3 file.

When you test the file and you find the volume too low, you can use MP3Gain to increase it.

http://www.geocities.com/mp3gain/

6. Powa

Powa Regular member

Righto thanks Powerdup, I'll give that a go. Does seem a bit messy though converting all my xvid/divx's just so I can hear it better :p

7. Kingd

Kingd Guest

In the ac3 filter configurations, look at output settings and if you only have 2 speakers, choose 2/0 - stereo. What happens is that ac3 sound is split up into various speakers since its designed for surround sound type setup. When you only have 2 speakers, and its set for 4/1 or 5/1 your only getting part of the available sound channels. Switching to 2/0 - stereo sometimes helps by combining the streams to play on the two speakers.

8. Powa

Powa Regular member

Right thanks Kingd, that makes perfect sense as I'm only ruining off 2 speakers or headphones at the moment. I'll check it out when I get home, thanks!

9. Powa

Powa Regular member

:-| I just checked the settings and it was already set to 2/0 Stereo, and its still 50% quieter than other sound on the computer. Any other ideas? or should I email the developers and see if they have a solution?

10. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Try some of the other settings to see if any of them sound any better. Other than that, jack up the volume haha.

11. 'the_fly'

'the_fly' Member

yeah ive got the same problem , can anyone give any sugestions?

12. gashmoore

gashmoore Member

yes i had the same problem. Go into AC3 config & raise the volume & gain to 100%. This solves the problem.

13. wingers

wingers Member

I am having the same problem with my AC3 filter in that all movies now have stupidly low voplume levels. There is a preset in the main page of the ac3 filter config called loud which seems ramp up the gain and volume settings as gashmoore suggested but the audio is still quiet. The other thing I have noticed is that if i use Divx as my player and I use the slider bar to skip part of the movie I get a loud audio pop and the volume for the rest of the film is even more quiet and hissy (probably hissy because my speakers are up full rather than a decompression problem but the volume definately drops).

14. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Ah the beauty of simple, straightforward, MP3 hehe -- it also helps if one can't tell the difference between Mono and 7.1 Surround :p