1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accurian ADR 3223 failed dvd drive

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by ggha, Jun 11, 2007.

1. ggha

ggha Member

The dvd drive of my accurian is dead. Is it possible to change it by a normal dvd drive for computers?

2. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

YES
    The Accurian is realy a Liteon/ilo I have one [My son in law has it]
    For full use including the FF you must use a Liteon drive 1693s or older.
    The speed of the drive is not a factor when used in a recorder.
    I have used a 4x to 16x
    There are sticky's that cover the replacement for both inside and outside the case here. If inside the case must be modified
    http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=9cbbffe9fe2ef6dc296c3f56d3820d34

Remember the Liteon, ilo and Accurian are the same except the
    firmware. The Accurian can not be hacked

PS
    What leads you to feel the DVD drive is dead

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  3. ggha

ggha Member

Thank you so much for telling me the basic name of the accurian.
    The dvd-drive does not read dvds nor format new ones.
    I thought at the beginning it might be dirty and I cleaned it with a CD laser cleaner CD.
    The rest of the machine works wonderfully, I mean the Hard Disc Drive.
    Do you know a way to copy directly the documents stored in the HDD to another HDD?
    ggha

4. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

It sounds, that you can access the HDD. If so the unit is recognizing the DVD drive even though it will not format or read,Wwill it burn a diek? The DVD drive is most likely a Liteon DDW-813s. This is a IDE unit with the same connections and operation as that in meny a PC.
    How old is the unit where was it bought [as to warranty]. Accurtain is a generic name sold by other than Radio Shack and way have a different warranty.
    I feel the Accurian is a good unit but can suffer from premature DVD drive failure.
    If so, It would be your decision as to a replacement

As to the HDD copy
    The format is FAT 32 but is modified. I am using Win 98 SE and is FAT 32, so I would not have the associated problems as in later versions of Windows
    I have not been faced with the HDD to HDD transfer question. I have done as below

If the drive will burn, if will copy the HDD to a disk. If not you could install a [temporary] and working DVD drive, even outside the case Even a newer one than the 1693, all the functions may not be avail but they will work, You could copy the HDD programs to disk. [You would need a longer IDE ribbon cable] In your case I would go this route first. Transferring, HDD to HDD if not done properly could lead to a loss or corruption of the VOB files

Look at the site I gave, The sticky’s and posts. The site is ILo and covers Liteon ilo and Accurian are liteon.
    Check the Drives to use ther are some other drive that may work
    If I can be of Help I would be happy to do so

5. ggha

ggha Member

Dear LCSHG, your information regarding accurian has been extremely useful for me. I am Chilean, and I bought the DVDR in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, at a Radio Shack Store, around june last year.
    I have used extensively the dvd-drive since I record in the HDD, then edit what I would like to store, and then I burn an average of 35GBs per week.
    It might be a simple problem of dirt. But since I have a spare dvd-drive made by LG, multisystem, 16X, I thought I could install it in the accurian.
    I actually adore this machine. It is very friendly, and although its software it is quite restricted it is enough for a household operation.
    I have a Philips DVDR 3380, without hard disk. I made my trainning there, and I do not like it very much. I have destroyed so many dvds...
    I shall visit the site you recommended me.
    Most grateful,
    Bill

6. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Radio Shack closed and sold out the Accurian models [I believe at all stores for $100.00 dollers] and was a real bargain, If so

This would depend on dealing with a Radio Shack store or possibly with with Radio Shack by email
    It might be in waranty and even if out of waranty you woould expect them to service it. Either way I would doubt Radio Shack could or would repair it. Depending how persistrnt you are They may Offer a [New] or replacement unit.
    It might be worth a try

7. ggha

ggha Member

As I told you I am Chilean and I had to buy it in Honduras, since RAdio Shack closed operations in Chile, the same way that abandon Accurian.
    The machine is probably the best in that section and for US$100 it was really a bargain. I think I paid US$350.- in Honduras, which was OK.
    I shall try to get some advice from Radio Shack, if I cannot solve it by changing the DVD.drive.
    Thank you very much again,
    Bill