1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ace codec pack

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by bubb4, Feb 28, 2003.

1. bubb4

bubb4 Member

i recently installed this codec pack ACE Mega CoDeCs Pack on my computer, after installing it, i realized that it was not what i was needing and decided to delete it. it did not show up in my add/remove programs list so i just manually deleted the folders in my programs folder. Now whenever i try to play certain file types in Windows Media Player, Winamp, and even Kazaa i have problems. A popup appears saying "installing ACE MEGA CODECS PACK" then it continues to say "cannot find on system"??? EXACTLY! i deleted it! well then why if i want to play any .mpg .avi .wma i have to click "cancel" 5x to close this install bar. The files still play, its just that i have to go through 20sec of annoying popups. so i dont need any new codecs, i just need to completly get rid of the old useless ones.

2. sys2064

sys2064 Member

the ace codec pack seem to make problems when installing/uninstalling! i had some error message during install but the codecs worked fine after it. however some things in my system are messed up. not sure if it's because of the codec pack.
    the pack is listed in my uninstall dialogue so not sure what went wrong with your installation.
    good idea is always to make a system restore point with win(xp).
    or you can try do delete the files manually and then run a registry cleaner like regcleaner. if it still doesn't help maybe its better to install that pack again and it live with it. actually most of the codecs are pretty helpful.

anyone else had trouble with that pack?

3. bubb4

bubb4 Member

thanks for your help. i still am not sure what i need to do with regcleaner, can you please help me with that? thanks again.

4. sys2064

sys2064 Member

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml

regcleaner is a small and free tool to clean up your registry from already uninstalled apps etc.
    you can choose in the tools menue to do registry cleanup/do them all and it lists all the dispensable entries which normally can be deleted. after that almost everything should be like before (at least within the registry). so no settings can interfere when re-installing.

i've just uninstalled my ace coded pack pro yesterday and after it the divx codec and morgan multimedia codec, then ran regcleaner and then re-insalled the ace mega codec pack player.
    and this time everything worked fine.
    even the flash plugin works properly now (....strangely enough but that's windows live!!)

5. monzaman

monzaman Guest

Be WARNED. If you dload a file always check to see if the file has an .exe extension. If it does you will not be able to uninstall it via Add/Remove progs!(self executable)

If you MUST have the file set a new system restore point BEFORE dloading. Also use reg cleaners sparingly much better to back up your registry properly, regulary.

PS .exe files are used for all sorts of NASTY viruses and trojans and just deleting the file and reg entries is NO guarentee that you have removed any offending nasties!!!

My advice is to only dload .exe's from reputable sites, you get what you deserve if you use KAZAA as you don't have clue what the file REALLY is any fool can change a file name!!

MONZAMAN

6. mtnln

mtnln Guest

I was wondering the best place to download the ace mega codec pack? I want to be able to uninstall it if it does not work for me. So where do I hook up with that? Thanks.