1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acer 7720 HD-DVD Playback Problems

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by cass_no9, Jan 17, 2008.

1. cass_no9

cass_no9 Member

Newbie thread here so be kind with replies......As title suggests I have problems with my HD-DVD playback on my Acer 7720 laptop.....using the Acer Deluxe (default software which actually uses PlayMovie from Cyberlink) it work okay and played my HD movies ok....until a window popped up to inform me that I needed to download a patch, could not ignore this warning as it did not allow me to play my HD movie. So downloaded and as normal all the problems started.....basically since December, myself and Cyberlink (who have be very helpful, can't fault) have tried various solutions including their latest copy of Ultra (HD version)and still all I get is some lovely audio and a horrible green screen. Was wondering if anyone out their has had the same problem or even indeed been able to resolve it..........I have checked out with Cyberlink with their downloadable test software and my laptop passes all the requirements for playing HD-DVDs. Inregards to Acer all they say is that on their FTP site is all the latest drivers....which I have downloaded....as expected Acer customer support is non-supportive.

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Who's patch, and did the problems start exactly when you applied the patch?

3. cass_no9

cass_no9 Member

The Patch was from Cyberlink.....after selecting to update, a window pops up from Cyberlink and you then download a Playmovie patch.....which does not work....hence the various emails between me, Cyberlink and the odd one to Acer (who say it is not their problem as they have all the latest drivers on their FTP site.......thanks Acer)

4. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

i have the cyber link which played falwlessly i
    didn't download
    theres onl one way to get it worked as before

uninstall and reinstall ur playack softy
    simple don't download any patches
    untill u get another 3rd party software came out or newer version whic can play everything
    (thats what iam plannng)

5. cass_no9

cass_no9 Member

Okay, will uninstall and then re-install, but when I put my disc (Transformers) into my laptop....the only option I have is to download the patch as when I cancel and try to play movie again I get the same window opening.....how did you bypass this option....do you have a 7720 laptop and are you able to play HD_DVD, are you using Acer Arcade Deluxe if so what version.

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

If they are that insistent about the patch it must have something to do with copy protection/DRM etc.

7. mark31121

mark31121 Member

Hi, I have an Acer Aspire 7720G and had the same problem with the Acer Arcade and both acer and cyberlink were useless (cyberlink basically said it's acer's problem and acer said i need to get the drive repaired), anyway I have got the HD DVD's to play on my system but I've had to download a trial of Arcsoft total media theature AND have AnyDVD running in the background - so looks like it's a protection issue...

I've tried all other fixes and they've all failed - I started with transformers so maybe there is a protection issue with that disc and some sort of registry issue, I don't know... Hopefully this will help as I've spent so much time on it! Maybe someone out there can come up with a more definitave fix that doesn't involve buying a load of software once the trial runs out

8. crizatuk

crizatuk Member

Hey a just about to lash out £399 on an ACER 7720-3A2G16MI can you guys tell me if its worth it, ie the guys that have one, and would you use it rather than a desktop! am replacing my old emachines that has lasted for about 8 years now with the acer??