1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

acer aspire 3662wlmi fault

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by steve34, Dec 22, 2007.

1. steve34

steve34 Member

hi,

i recently bought a used Acer aspire 3662wlmi with the knowledge the laptop had a fault with the battery(won't work with battery)Have tried an identical known working battery & another psu but nno difference.

the unit works fine using ac power albeit with a couple of niggles;it takes 2 presses of the power button for the unit to switch on;when restarting from within Windows the unit powers off & the usual sequence is five presses of pwr button to reboot to Windows.

Despite the flaws described the laptop works ok with ac power and windows seems stable, installs programs & updates without prob.

Any ideas as to a probable cause of the faults would be very welcome

thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. steve34

steve34 Member

many thanks ddp for the link;tried the power issue but was unsucessful.
    I've been quoted £41.00 from Acer for collection, diagnosis & return shippping of the laptop; wondered whether it's worth doing? I paid £172 for the laptop, the condition is A1, decent spec & has windows xp media center edition

have read on google about 'launchboard panel' failure on laptops, wondered if anyone has had this fault & could give some idea of costs involved

cheers!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I suppose you could continuity check the obvious parts of the circuit board if you're familiar with the electronics on them. If you're not, £40 isn't a huge repair bill, but obviously if the laptop isnt worth that much money you'll have to weigh up whether it's worth doing or not. Unfortunately I've not had to deal with a problem like this so I can't really offer any further advice.
    Best of luck!

5. steve34

steve34 Member

thanks, i'll open the laptop and check for any loose connections & give the electronics side a go though am not too hot in that area.