1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acer Aspire Laptop 1.73GHz E2250 w/Vista Home Premium

Discussion in 'Sell your stuff' started by theonejrs, Apr 11, 2008.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Acer Aspire 5610 Media Center Laptop (You can google the actual specific model information, LXAY10X008650085C41601). 15.4 CrystalBrite Widescreen, that I have to say impresses me. 1280x800. 1.73GHz E2250, 1 GB of Ram, 120GB Sata hard drive. Media Center consists of a card reader and deck mounted controls for the DVD Player/Burner. It has WiFi, a cable lan, HD sound and a Fax Modem.

It's 16 months old and I purchased it from the original owner, and has Vista Home Premium installed on it. It's been restored to like the day it was new. Everything but the Expired Norton that I removed is just as it came from the factory. I've installed AVG AntiVirus on it and Power DVD 7. I would love to keep it, but I just can't afford to!

$500 USD w/the 3 disk recovery system, directions, and the charger/power supply and cord!

Sincerely,
    Russ

2. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Russ,

Do you not mean T2250? Also, Google could not find any info on "LXAY10X008650085C41601"???

Is there any chance one could put XP on this machine? 1GB of RAM is simply not enough memory for Vista, and yes, I presume one could add another 1GB of RAM on this machine? Speaking of memory, does it have 2 slots of 512MB or 1 for 1GB? That would make a big difference to me.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,
    Sorry about that, I did mean T2250! LOL!! I had XP on it, but couldn't ever get the drivers to work. NuckNFuts says it can be done!.

The memory is 2x512. You were right about the number. Turns out it's the ser. #. I needed it to order the recovery disks Here's more information on it, the Manual!
    www.acerpanam.com/synapse/data/7117/documents/AS5610_UG_EN.pdf. Just copy and paste it into the address bar as for some reason it doesn't want to work direct. Only takes a minute to download. It will give you a better idea of the layout and function of things. The condition is extremely good, and is very solid for such a thin laptop. It doesn't have a flimsy feel to it at all! A couple of rubs on the corners from the bag the guy had for it, and that's it. Vista is kind of weird as it's slow as hell booting up, but once booted up it seems to do things pretty quick. Much quieter OS too. All the sounds are very quiet and subdued. None of the clicking and clacking of XP every time you open a folder. It has more bells and whistles than I even understand, like I know nothing about bluTooth, but it has it! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  4. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Russ,

I'd buy that in a minute if XP could run on it. How far did you get with the drivers for XP? Also, did NuckNFuts mention where he would get the drivers. Notebooks/Laptops with Vista, as I've fouund are difficult to find all the drivers for XP.

BTW, could you run Task Manager and Select Performance, and tell me how much "free memory" is available? You can PM me if needed.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,
    Vista does memory different than XP in the task Manager, so there's 45% free Physical memory, but about 550MB is cached! Hope that answers your question.

EDIT: I checked on the price of So Dimm DDR2 667 memory and it's available in 1x2GB for under $40 for cas 5 and under $50 for cas 4.
    Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,
    I've been living with it all day, and discovered that the Default energy savings settings are a bunch of crap, at least with the PS connected. I've got it set to full speed on the cpu and manual control of the screen when the PS is plugged in. Makes quite a difference in everything. When you run on battery it returns to the settings for battery. Cools very well with no noise and very little heat comes out of the back. For all intents and purposes, the fan is dead silent! Now, the CPU seems to idle at about 800MHz, and instantly zooms to 1729MHz the minute you run something. Must have C1E enabled, and hidden!

I've tried everything on it except the Acer Arcade Deluxe, and I'll leave that for whoever buys it! You have to set it up, and I didn't want to do that as my prefrences might be different! I've used the hell out of it all day now, and It's the best laptop I've ever had my hands on. I've owned a Sony Vio, A Dell C610, and worked on a couple of high end Dells. This is better made without that flimsy feel to it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Russ,

I'd buy it in a minute if it had XP on it, any chance?

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,
    I ran XP-Pro on it but I couldn't locate the video, sound and Lan drivers. I didn't try very hard as most of my memory problems of late have been short term, like in the same sentence sometimes. I don't have problems remembering the things I know, just what's happening in the here and now! Learning anything new without being able to connect to something old is just impossible! The damage was caused by a heart attack in 02. I was on CPR and an Ambu Bag for 22 minutes, before they got my heart started again! Only seemed to mess up my short term memory! LOL!! It got better for a while, and now it's going the other way! ROFL!!

Whatever you decide to do is OK with me. If a couple of more things go my way and if no buyers, I'll wind up keeping it. Like I said, it's a very high quality machine, that's made solid. It has none of that flimsy flex feel to it that you get with a lot of laptops these days, and the display is top notch! I may just get 2x1GB of memory and put it in it, it's so cheap right now! It would also make Vista about 4 to 5 times faster!

My thoughts on Vista? There are things that I like about it very much! It's so much less an "In your face" system than XP-Pro is. It does everything so smoothly and quietly. It's like it's trying to be your friend, it's just so forgiving. Then the other side of the coin is compatibility for software. I removed Power DVD 7 and replaced it with Power DVD 6. It's a bit less memory intensive. It popped up a message and sent me to Cyberlink's site to download a patch. I ran the patch only to have it not initialize. Worse yet is that I was unable to remove Power DVD 6 after doing it!. I couldn't even remove the folder from the program files. I did another restore after being unable to remove the program and files and put back Power DVD 7 and Firefox, and I'm leaving it alone! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I wonder if it possible to find out what MOBO it is, from there it should be easier to find drivers. What do you think, is it possible?

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sorry for the late reply! AD must be having problems because I already answered your last post but I don't see the reply here!

You should be able to fine out what the hardware is by checking the Vista Drivers for the hardware in the Device Manager.

I'm ordering the 2GB for it tomorrow. The Selling Price remains the same! I've been told to expect about 4 to 5 times better performance. I'm going to get a couple of matched sticks of Corsair Value Select (2x1GB) Cas5 memory for $35. Since the computer is compatible with 667MHz Ram, I'll get that! I could spend another $20 or so and get some G-Skil Cas4. I just don't know if it's worth it! I doubt it as you can't get at the memory settings!

I'm very impressed with how well everything works, and I think the new memory will speed things up quite a bit. Vista is kind of hard to explain but it's so much like XP-Pro, yet it so much unlike XP-Pro. There's 51 Icons in the Control Panel! There's only 37 in my XP-Pro. Vista appears to be designed to make windows "Idiot Proof"! If you want to open the Device Manager in Vista, it's located in the "Hardware Manager" Icon in the control panel. If you forgot and just open the System, it cross checks and makes it available there too! Most of the extra Icons do the same thing. Just stuff that you usually find elsewhere. Still, for my needs for a laptop it would be an excellent choice! It's slim at just under 1 9/16" at it's thickest, very sturdy, weighs about 5 lbs and has a dazzling 15.4" Display. I did a little research on the Display, and it's made by Philips. At 1280x800 in a 15.4" picture the detail is extremely fine grained!

I had to laugh at the "Default" screensaver! It's a running advertisement extolling the features of the laptop, all in High Resolution 3D! It's amazing, but it ain't the mirrors! LOL!! I have to say, this screen has seriously elevated my standards for a new LCD Monitor. The difference between my Sceptre and the CrystalBrite screen of the Acer is staggering! I'm working back to back with both of them so the difference is immediate and apparent! The CrystalBrite wins hands down, by a wide margin! My next monitor will be 24" and so far the Dell is in the lead! We'll see what's available when the time comes!

I'll keep you posted!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

IIRC, it doesn't tell you the motherboard model#, and from the model# one may be able to find the drivers, but that is not a definite. I have converted many a desktop from Vista to XP, so that is my experience. Actually, you could run CPUZ to find the MB name. But I am not sure that is enough.

If I remember correctly, it is the same a XP, right-click on "MY Computer", select properties, then select "Manage", and then select "Device Manager". At least that's what I recall from working on a friends Vista, could be wrong though, since I don't have Vista.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

The MB make and model according to CPUz and Sandra is Acer, Grapevine! The chipset is a 945GX. The sound is Realtec HD audio and the video is Intel, as is the lan. What fascinates me, is that this same model (from the manual) has XP on it to begin with, so I don't see why it wouldn't work! My Dell C610 is a very good laptop and built like a tank, but this is just so much better. About the only thing I can't report on is the Touchpad. I use a mouse. Me and touchpads are not compatible! Too much electricity in my body or something. They just never work right for me and skip and stutter all over the place! LOL!! The rear 2 usb ports have usb legacy support, so the mouse works in those two ports from the boot up, on. For some reason the two side usb ports don't support it except from plug and play, after it installs.

Overall, I'm impressed with the performance and it should improve with the addition of another GB of faster memory which was just ordered as I was writing this post. $44.59 with tax and shipping for 2GB of 667 Ram, is pretty good. It should be here tomorrow!

I'll keep you posted!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,

Just got done checking out the new memory. Runs much better. I set the video memory to 128MB and it runs fine. I'll get it packed up and ready to go unless there's something else you would like me to look at!

The memory is running at 533, but the timings are running at 4-4-4-12 instead of 5-5-5-15!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Oh, that's great, and thanks. I wasn't able to get off a check yesterday, but will do that this morning, so you should probably have it by Friday, or Saturday, at the latest.