1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acer laptop problem

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by 3FM, Jun 23, 2008.

1. 3FM

3FM Member

While I'm able to play both CD's and DVD's using all the different player software that's installed on this laptop, Nero, Sonic, WinDVD and Windows Media Player, ever since I installed the last Vista upgrade none of this software can 'see' the drive for burning purposes. This has not been problem before............Any ideas....I have uninstalled/reinstalled the drive, and DO already have the latest drivers

2. 3FM

3FM Member

There must be some exceptionally IT savvy people out there who perceive this as a foolish, easily solvable problem. BUT when it's your problem....any help is much appreciared

3. E911

E911 Guest

I had this exact same problem after upgrading. I found an article in the Microsoft website that indicated it was a problem with on of the Microsoft updates, if you search for the computer brand in the Microsoft web pages it will come up with the update number and how to remove it.

I am just going from memory here because I do not use this laptop anymore, it has been passed down to my son. I was very skeptical about the fix actually working but it actually fixed the problem.

4. oscarwms

oscarwms Member

There is nothing wrong with your drives for Nero. Windows Vista is the problem. This is not a new problem. I go way back to the old DOS systems when there were no windows. I up gaded to windows 3.1 I was still able to use my DOS programs on it because 3.1 allowed me to log into the DOS mode or windows. Then I upgraded to Windows 95. I still could run some DOS by clicking on the DOS Icon. Then I went to Win.98, No more DOS even though it had a DOS icon. To make a long story short I progressed, through Windows ME to Windows XP Pro. As I upgraded I found that some of my game disk and programs no longer worked.
    Here is the problem. Windows has gone from a 16 bit to 32 bit to a 64 bit system Some of your progams are 32bit and Vista will not see them. There is nothing you can do about it short of finding out if there is an upgrade driver for your progams that are not seen by Vista. Microsft is only in it for the money. They rather you buy new programs that are compatible with Vista. My brother got frustrated with Vista and went back to XP Pro[/color][/color][/color]

5. redsoxvin

redsoxvin Regular member

i have a similar prob..

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

and the problem is?

7. varnull

varnull Guest

sounds to me like an mmc/aspi driver conflict.