1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Active HTML Desktop Guide---Come on in!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Quadratic, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

First, I would like to give credit where credit is due. I did not originate this idea, and so I give credit to johngannon from the IGN PC Board, who shared this idea with everyone else. All info is from his thread

First off, get a decent text editor like TextPad (its free.)
    http://www.textpad.com

Next you need to know a bit of basic HTML, like the color codes. Below is a good site for seeing what color matches what code.

http://www.computerhope.com/htmcolor.htm

/\ I use this site to pick font colors.

Below are the two files you need to edit, and just a basic list of what does what. Remember this is fairly basic and does not go over each feature.

| activedesktop.css |
    'BODY'
    This only changes the 'weather' application and the small semicolons between the internet links. Usually matching this with the same color as the 'a {' column for an overall more cohesive look.

'a {'
    Change the color here for all the links, including the games,internet links, ect ect

'INPUT'
    The color here is for your text that you can type in the 'search' fields. Perfect for when you use a dark backround, and need to use a white font to see your text.

'TITLE'
    The color here is for all titles - such as ..::G A M E S , ..::W E A T H E R, etc. This also is used when changing from the default white desktop style to a dark or black one.

Next we change the location of all the links/searches/apps.

To change the location, you simply just need to change the number. You can also change "bottom" to "top", and "left" to "right". You will need to play around with each to get the correct look/feel. Just save your file and click anywhere on your active desktop and then presh F5 for a refresh. You should be able to see the changes and adjust accordingly.

'#netLinks'
    Adjusts the Web Links

'#weather'
    Adjusts the Weather app

'#progList'
    Adjusts your program lists (games ect)

'#search'
    Adjusts your search list

'#console'
    Adjusts your command line

Now open your Desktop.html file. This is where you can change your zip for the weather proggie, and adjust to where the links go.

----====NOTE: For some odd reason, you need to use forward slashes / not backward slashes \ for all your program links. Strange I know, but you need to follow that format or links won't work====-----

| Desktop.HTML |

First off find the part where it says:
    change 60062 to your zip code

Change your zipcode right there, from 60062 to where ever you live. This will get the weather program working correctly

Find the part where it says:
    //run this every X seconds
    Change the 25 to a shorter time if you want the weather to update more often.

body style="background:url
    This is where you change your wallpaper to a new .JPG - just point this link to what pic you want to use.

<!-- Internet Links -->
    Change these links to whatever website you prefer. Make sure to change the title as well as the link itself. If you need more spaces for more links, just copy the whole line and paste it right underneath the last one.

!-- Applications/Folders -->
    Change these to your desired applications you wish to use. You also change the titles here as well.

<!-- Search Bars -->
    These are the available search engines. Delete the ones you don't need or add ones that are missing.

<!-- Console option -->
    This is for the command line. Delete this whole section if you don't use or need a command line on your desktop.

<!-- Weather -->
    Delete this whole section if you don't want the weather app to run or be seen.

Post pics of your finished work and links to allow other users to share the wealth.

Download this file as a sample, and build off of it. Note that you will have to change things around to fit where you want it.

http://uploadhut.com/view.php/225245.rar

Here's an example of an Active Desktop:

[​IMG]

Enjoy, and good luck. To stop confusion, the CALENDAR is a program called "Rainlender."

If you have any issues, post them in this thread :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey Quad,

Thanks for the awesome info!

BTW...there is also another program for customized colors that people find online that they want.

It is called Pixie. Basically the same thing with the color code chart you just mentioned.

If anyone wants it, you can download it here:

http://www.nattyware.com/pixie.html

;P

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

thanks for the info Quadratic

4. theboner

theboner Member

hmm, i can't figure it out, how can i make links to network connections and my computer?

5. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

I'm not sure I understand this either..how exactly do I make my desktop "active"? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hunter007

6. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Control panel is C:\Windows\system32\Control.exe

I don't know what Network connections is.

An active desktop is basically an html desktop. It's automatically setup in WinXP. All you have to do is right click on the desktop, properties, background, and select the .html file.

7. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

Thanks, almost everything works. I'm not too sure how to make My Computer or my hard drive linked. Every time I change the background, and then back to the active desktop I get an Internet Script Error. Is this normal?

Thanks,
    Hunter007

8. theboner

theboner Member

yea, i'd also know how to make links to "My Computer" and "Network Connections" if possible, i see them on the sample image above so i assume it's possible. also, i'm getting the script messages too, i guess it's normal, it only happens the first time you switch to the background, so once you get it how you like it you shouldn't see it after the first time.

9. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Quad,

Have a quick question for you!

I have having some issue in regards to the active desktop. When I load it I am going through the Desktop Properties to the Desktop Tab and click the BROWSE button to search for the html file that I configured per your instructions.

When I load it up, I have a tiled setting and another outside block of the same desktop pic that I have.

Want to know, if there is something that I am not getting? Also, I was wondering if when I click the links they don't open in IE. Because I would like to use Firefox. Also, is there a size requirement for the pics, I did one that worked however, the pic was cut off on the right hand side, so I know it worked, but is there a specific size that I need it to be on.

Is this customizable or not?

Thanks for the info!

;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  10. keras

keras Regular member

I downloaded the basic active desktop from the link provided. My question is, how do you add a wallpaper to the background, mine is plain white. I'm assuming you type in a link to the jpeg or something, any help would be appreciated.

11. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey Keras,

The "link" you are refering to, is the one that is a pic on your pc, not necessarily one on the web. For instance, lets say you saved a pic on your desktop that is of a basketball, and you named it ball.jpg, the path would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\(what ever your signed login is for windows)\(the folder name if you saved it in a folder)\(and then the name of the pic)

So...my is like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\VenomX\Personal Pics\venomX.jpg

Hope this helps you!

;)

12. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

that is some pretty cool stuff Quadratic, but I have a question. I have used desktop shell programs before, like ashton shell, but they were huge resource hogs and after unistalling it, it made my pc run funny. is this anything like that or simply giving winXP somewhat of a longhorn-like facelift? Thanks!

13. PARAN0iA

PARAN0iA Member

just a few questions..
    first of all, how do i make it so the 'Security Alert' doesnt come up when i first click on a link.
    second, is there a way to make the list expand when you click a heading?
    for example.. when you click on 'Games' the list of games appears under it.

14. squizzle

squizzle Active member

OK guys, I think I might be getting the hang of this, but I can't figure out how to get the wallpaper to extend across the whole screen. Can anyone help me? And does anyone know of a good beginners guide to HTML?

15. kok1981

kok1981 Member

hi all,

this looks really cool but i can't get the links to programs working. This is what i did:

<span class="title">. . : : G a m e s</span><br />
    <a target="_self" onClick=" ShellExJ('C:/UnrealTournament/System/UnrealTournament.exe')" href="javascript:;">:: Unreal 99 :: </a><br />
    <a target="_self" onClick=" ShellExJ('C:/UT2004/System/UT2004.exe')" href="javascript:;">:: Unreal 2004 :: </a><br />
    <a target="_self" onClick=" ShellExJ('C:/UnrealTournament/HLSW/hlsw.exe')" href="javascript:;">:: HLSW :: </a><br />
    <a target="_self" onClick=" ShellExJ('C:/Program Files/teamspeak2_RC2/TeamSpeak.exe')" href="javascript:;">:: TeamSpeak :: </a><br />

Annyone got an idea what i did wrong.

Kind regards,

Kokkie

16. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I put in links like this: [bold]<A HREF="C:\PROGRAM FILES\DVD DECRYPTER\DVDDECRYPTER.EXE">dvd decrypter</A><BR>[/bold] I hope this helps you.

17. kok1981

kok1981 Member

but if you do that then i will get a download screen. and i wan to skip that part. and load the program right away

18. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I ran into that problem a while ago. I think it stopped being a problem when I switched from IE to Firefox.

19. kok1981

kok1981 Member

ok thnx.. im gonna try that then.

20. squizzle

squizzle Active member