1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add or Remove Programs Icon Not Appearing

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Phil0391, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Phil0391

Phil0391 Guest

Hey, I'm trying to uninstall a program on my computer. However when I go to Add or Remove Programs. The "remove/change" button isnt there. This is the only way I can remove the file, because there isn't a uninstall file for the program. Any suggestions?

2. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

Go to My computer> C: >Program files, In program files find the program you wish to erase and erase all its folders... (Manually).

3. Phil0391

Phil0391 Guest

Thanks. That works too.

4. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

You would also want to do a search for files that have something of the product in the name. For instance if it was Norton the search would be for that or Symantec and probably some other key terms.

Many programs will put files in other folders of your computer besides the program files.

There may also be registry entries.

Did you look within the file to see if there was an uninstall there? Or on the start menu? I guess too late now for those.

5. Phil0391

Phil0391 Guest

Yea I did. When I didnt see the "Remove/Change" icon I first went to profram files and see if there was an uninstall. There wasn't.

6. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Sorry after I typed I saw you had said that in your original post and I did not see an edit button.

I was getting into grasping at straws mode while I was typing.

My main point was the search. Programs will often place info in Application Data and other folders outside of program files.

Also there may registry entries that should be removed.

7. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

Programs containing adware,worms,spyware... often don't make an uninstall option so that people who don't know how to delete things manually are forced to hold onto the program that's infecting there computer.